Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing burners.

Hello everyone,
    I am a newbie who is trying to build a wood-fired stone oven for my dream pizza outlet. I have been going through a lot of plans and designs for the oven, but I do not notice any designs with gas burners inside. The problem is for a commercial outlet, it wont be possible for me to burn wood in store since it will be a small outlet on a busy street. I want to substitute wood with gas burners. Please note the gas burners will burn 12hours a day and will create immense heat. I was thinking about making a hole in the calcium silicate board that i will be using for layering the bottom and making a way for burner from there. I am not sure how good of an idea is this as i am afraid of heat leakage or any other problem.
    Please advice on how can i add a gas burner in my plan.
    I have seen this forum is very active and helpful, so thanks in advance to one and all

Pratik,

Most of discussions center around wood-fired ovens and typically propane or natural gas as a cooking fuel advise is not given due to the inherent safety issues of propane or natural gas. That said there have been a few builds that are fueled with fossil fuels. Here is link to one build but it is not a commercial one.

http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-tile-dome
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

G'day
      It's no different than a domestic gas oven. It needs a safety gas cut out should the flame go out and be fitted by a qualified tradesman.
      Forno bravo do a gas kit for there commercial ovens that are designed to run on gas and gas/ wood combo. I'd start by sending them an email.
      Discussion on home gas conversion is usually not encouraged as it's easy to produce an air/fuel bomb in a back yard setting!
      Consult the experts
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thank you so much guys.. really helpful to know. I am trying to build an oven, similar to what blaze pizza has.. If you are not aware about blaze pizza, here is a picture of the oven. Its an open hearth oven, has flames on 3 sides that is back and left, right. Any advice on how should i proceed? I am new to the oven making scene.

Comment

Pratik,

I really hate to say this, but I think that what you are wanting to build is above our pay grade. At the very least, it is a way above mine!
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well, tbh I don't really think it is. Its just like any other brick oven made. The only difference in my understanding is the material used to build it. That i suspect to be cordierite. Its barrel shaped with a facade that makes it look rectangular. And it has a Gas burner attached to it. Again, this is from my understanding and I might be wrong. I appreciate any and all inputs Thanks.

Comment

G'day
              Go to the top of the forum and find the support icon. When clicked on it and had a look it had a lot on commercial ovens burners and manuals. Things that are above my pay grade as a home oven builder. If you are after a commercial build and yes it needs to be start there.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

If what you want is a gas powered oven then maby what you should look at is one of the professional models that are made and sold by forno bravo. They are set up to run on gas and wood, or just gas I believe. You are not going to find to many people here to help make your own for fear the you will blow yourself up. Setting up the burners could be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Besides isn't the wood fire the reason most of us do this. Just my .02

Randy

Comment

If you want that type of oven - I think you call Woodstone or Proluxe and buy one. This forum is really a DIY wood-fired oven site. I'm sure those companies put plenty of R&D into designing that - and there are whole fast food chains (Blaze, MOD) rolling out on the back of their technology.

FWIW, I have been to MOD and thought their pizza is not so great. But that's because I have a WFO in my backyard and I am kinda spoiled. :-)

http://woodstone-corp.com/wp-content.../03/fd9690.pdf
                  Last edited by deejayoh; 01-18-2016, 09:47 PM.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

DJ I think you hit the nail on the head there. That looks just like what he is looking for. I would venture a guess that an oven like that would set you back at least 50K. But you would be much better off buying it as a posed to building it

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                      DJ I think you hit the nail on the head there. That looks just like what he is looking for. I would venture a guess that an oven like that would set you back at least 50K. But you would be much better off buying it as a posed to building it

Randy

Yeah, I believe that new they may cost even more than that! Here's an example of a used model of the one I linked that is on ebay for ~$25k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodstone-Fi...MAAOxydB1Sir1W
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Pratik Agarwal View Post
                        Hello everyone,
                        I am a newbie who is trying to build a wood-fired stone oven for my dream pizza outlet. I have been going through a lot of plans and designs for the oven, but I do not notice any designs with gas burners inside. The problem is for a commercial outlet, it wont be possible for me to burn wood in store since it will be a small outlet on a busy street. I want to substitute wood with gas burners. Please note the gas burners will burn 12hours a day and will create immense heat. I was thinking about making a hole in the calcium silicate board that i will be using for layering the bottom and making a way for burner from there. I am not sure how good of an idea is this as i am afraid of heat leakage or any other problem.
                        Please advice on how can i add a gas burner in my plan.
                        I have seen this forum is very active and helpful, so thanks in advance to one and all
                        If I were to open a restaurant I would look at doing one of these:

I encountered one in New Orleans and they were pumping out fantastic pies as fast as you could make them. This item is for the serious Pizzeria and will handle almost anything you throw at it. About 25k before installation costs and all that. Made in Italy and only about 6 of them in the US. If I was going to spend north of 30k and south of 50k - this is what I would put in my restaurant.

Lookup Pavesi Twister Rotating oven.

http://www.firedupkitchens.com/produ...rotating-ovens
                        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Hi Pratik

Please don't get discouraged!

Firstly, as long as the burners are installed correctly, with the appropriate safety measures, there is very little risk of 'creating a bomb' or something else dramatic.

Both LPG and Natural gas are both heavier than air, and if the source is shut off, will not in an open oven door situation 'build up' or 'accumulate in the dome', despite what anyone tells you.

In an extended flame-out/gas running situation, yes you must vent any gas before re-igniting, just as you would for your home oven.

In short - if you are not a moron - there should be no actual danger - just take precautions and use common sense - something that people are not expected to have these days!

Before you look at any burner installation, you need to calculate the floor are of you desired oven. the floor size of your oven will dictate what size of burner(s) you will need.

There are a number of burners on the market that are simple turn-key affair, just requiring you to make the appropriate inlet hole through your oven floor (or wall) to install them.

They have 'flame detection', and also a thermo-couple so that you can manage your oven temperature automatically if you want to.

These burners will shutoff the gas supply, or re-ignite it should they no longer detect the main jet as burning.

The guidelines for the installation hole are included with the burner.

As you are a commercial operation - I would recommend buying a burner from a specific pizza oven supplier such as those made by Fiamma / Avanzini

If you have a look at this website:

http://www.avanzinibruciatori.it/

It contains examples of the burners you should be considering.
                          This is also the model sold by Forno Bravo.

Although i think it's ok for you to build in the access hole for the burner - THE ACTUAL BURNER SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY A LICENSED TRADESPERSON.

and just make that point clearly:

THE ACTUAL BURNER SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY A LICENSED TRADESPERSON!

THE ACTUAL BURNER SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY A LICENSED TRADESPERSON!!

THE ACTUAL BURNER SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY A LICENSED TRADESPERSON!!!

having said all of this - This is just my opinion. please do your own investigation.

Trust me on the the tradesperson though.

Please let us know how you get on!

ok - rant-ish-post over. sorry for the bolding...

cheers,
                          mitch,

Last edited by Mitchamus; 01-21-2016, 03:27 PM.
                          -------------------------------------------
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

Go with professional service providers in your area.

Comment

Working...
                            X