gas burner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas burner??

Ive built a superior clay 24 inch round dome oven,Im a mason so was varily easy for me,Id like to put a log lighter or even a burner in it,I have line ran and came up with a way to light as turning gas on at exact same time,but question is like to come up with a burner for it?Been told by some to cap a 1/2 inch pipe and drill 1/8 holes in the cap,Im not comforable with that?Where can I buy a burner,any advice??Thanks looking forward to using my oven.

Re: gas burner??

Just my opinion......I would not go there. Gas in an enclosed space is an explosion waiting to happen. There is a reason commercial gas pizza ovens cost so much - the burners and regulator sytems that are designed and engineered for them. You don't find this in a "home" pizza oven or even attempted by anyone on this forum (although the idea comes up regularly). Unless you are a true trade professional (oven installer, or gas service), attempting this may very well be catastrophic.
    Do a thread search, James, our fearless leader has addressed this on a couple of occasions. He has firsthand knowledge of the construction of commercial as well as home built ovens, including gas fired.

Again, just my opinion, not trying to rain on your parade.

RT

Comment

With a 24 inch oven I can see why you would want a gas burner, there's no room for a fire!

Ditto to what RT said. Gas burners are not safe or practical for home use, much less one made from a hole in a capped pipe. Sounds like a potential Darwin award winner.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Sage advice and another laugh dmun!
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I understand the safety concerns,we install gas log lighters in fireplaces all the time,and vent free logs also.I can see the concern,I have a vent hole on top off my oven the will be open until start getting good fire going then gas will be shut off and vent closed.Superior clay is who I bought my oven from and yes its small but will be fine for me,superior said they have alot of people put burners in the oven but couldnt give me directions where to get one??Just hoping for some help here.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
            With a 24 inch oven I can see why you would want a gas burner, there's no room for a fire!

Ditto to what RT said. Gas burners are not safe or practical for home use, much less one made from a hole in a capped pipe. Sounds like a potential Darwin award winner.
            Go to rumford fireplace they tell how to build a log lighter/burner.Im not comfortable with doing that,thats why Im asking.Thanks for help.

Comment

Hey Beleive,

There is a big difference between a fireplace and a wood oven. The fireplace has a big hole in the top, where a gas leak can escape up the chimney. A wood oven is fully enclosed, and any leaking gas will just sit in the oven -- waiting for a spark.

Sorry we are all being so blunt, but I think this is important.

David, one of my favorite Darwin winners was the guy who lifted off with five hot air balloons and a pellet gun. The plan was to shoot each balloon, one at a time and gently land back on earth. Except he accidently dropped the gun....

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I think there is a good reason why Superior Clay wouldn't advise you to put a gas burner in your oven. The don't want the liability, and I'm sure James doesn't either.

I did take a peak at Rumford.com, and they have gas logs for open fireplaces, but no oven burners that I could find.

Besides, burning wood is fun! It smells good! You can make a big mess and nobody yells at you! We like wood burning around here.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I completely understand your concern,and appreciatte your safety advice.I have vent on the side with door just for gas not building up,with vent and self igniter guess dont see the danger,its like a bbq grill in same since.But I do see if you didnt have them two things it would be dangerous,thanks anyway.

Comment

Well, the side vent is a better idea. I don't think LP gas rises. I think its heavier than air. If the thing doesn't light in the first couple of seconds, I'd sure as heck turn off the gas and let the vent do its thing.

Do let us know how it works out. Good luck, God speed!
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Grab ya a weed burner.
                      Hook it up to a propane tank.
                      And blow heat in.

I've done this, but it takes FOREVER to get any heat conducted into the bricks.

I've even used two at a time, max temps I could reach... about 350f after a couple hours.

Just don't leave it alone. They can blow out easily. Mine has blew out on numerous occasions.(before I quit using it)

In my opinion, wood is the only way to fly.!!!
                      Last edited by asudavew; 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM.
                      My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                      My costs:
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                      My pics:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I've got a gas burner for my oven. Works ok, you can give it an occasional blast, but I never use it any more. It was a burner from an old gas kiln I had of a similar interior volume. Made an inquiry once, about a burner for an oven, to a gas business and was informed it would cost around $2000 to supply and fit ! Hey aren't we all about WOOD fired ovens here ? Skip the gas idea..
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

OK, I have a question.....lets say you have a well planned, PROVEN SAFE, retrofit of a burner and regulating system for a WFO; what is the actual benefit?
                          Here is what I know based on the many times this issue has come up:

1) wood fires are not that hard to start with the proper kindling and seasoned hardwood for the actual fire.
                          2) A LOT of gas is required to heat an oven up to pizza temps and saturation...if in doubt inquire at any gas fire pizza oven restaurant.
                          3) It takes considerably longer to heat it with gas, it just DOES NOT get as hot as a "plasma" wood fire - hence the high gas consumtion. Commercial ovens run nearly constantly, so after the brief shutdowns there is still some retained heat that lessens the heat up to some extent.....the average home oven is fired, at most, a few times a week; so you will be heating up from the ambient temp every time.
                          4) If you just looking for a fire starter, the portable torches (plumbers torch) or the weed burners (if properly handled) can be effective, again be safe - don't leave it unattended or at any time have it pumping gas into the oven without being lit.
                          5) Any kind of enclosed oven, whether an altered Superior Clay or not, IS NOT the same as a gas barbeque or fireplace. I've never met anyone foolish enough to light their gas barbeque with the lid closed...unless your lifting the top half of your dome off, it is not the same venting effect.

Thats my thoughts, now please, someone/anyone give me a reason to go gas, other than you live in the desert where there are no trees or possibly live in a no fire area; neither of which are mentioned in this thread.

One last thought, I get the impression beleive is going to move forward with this, regardless of anyone's opinion and was hoping someone would give him their blessing and a proven method...I'm a bit worried we have chased him away and may someday soon see him on the news......Sure hope that isn't the case, we are not a bunch of tree burning nuts....we are just saying: be safe, be smart, and be efficient - you will have great pizza.

RT

Comment

Here in Australia we are required by law to have the burner fitted by a qualified gas bloke. The burners are required to have a flame failure device incorporated. This will automatically cut off the gas supply should the flame fail. I've had a lot of experience with LPG pottery kiln with both legal and illegal burner set ups. Having recently learned how to maintain pizza cooking temp with a small wood flame at the back of the oven I would never bother with a gas burner again. I think we could have cooked pizzas all night the other day. It was suprising how little flame was required to maintain temp. Just occasional small sticks. Also made a D shaped piece of steel flat bar to hold a few coals to contain this little fire. curved part of the D sits against the bottom of the dome.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

OK,get the picture,you all think Im stupid.Found alot of production home ovens are putting gas in them.So cant be only dumb person that thought of it.Anyway thank for help,I did build fire in my oven last night for first time,and no didnt use gas and yes Im still alive.Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X