After 5 years, cracked shell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 5 years, cracked shell...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n391090[/ATTACH] So after about five years I'm finally biting the bullet and doing something about the cracks.... Currently got it stripped of the red shell, brushed the dust down, and have a fire going now to dry out moisture. Forecast is looking great and dry for the week. Hoping a couple thin coats of mortar to smooth out the surface and then a coat of Dryvit product for weather protection. Thoughts??
    Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

I cracked the outer shell on the fourth and fifth oven I built and put it down to wet vermicrete creating steam pressure build up. I now always do the drying fires after the vermicrete layer, then when quite satisfied it's perfectly dry add the outer rendered she'll. I then wrap the whole oven in cling wrap to hold the moisture in that outer layer for a week to enhance its strength. Finally seal over that layer when thoroughly dry with some waterproofing compound.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Use some reinforcing in the outer layer of render. Chicken wire is the usual method, but I prefer random fibres in the mix cause it's easier than trying to get the chicken wire in the centre of the layer. If doing chicken wire I find it best to place pieces about one square foot as you go, overlapping them slightly. Start from the bottom and work up.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
      X