Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42” Massachusetts Igloo

Hello,
    Things have gone reasonably well to this point. I am ready to begin the insulation blanket. Likely 4 inches followed by “vermicrete ? , before being finished with 1 1/2 -2” thick stone veneer.

Oven is sitting on 2 inch CFB on top of 3 inch foam glass set upon a 7 1/2 inch cantilevered “countertop”. I have sourced materials from many places. Instrumental were the tapered bricks used for the base and every other course for the dome and archways . I used ceramic fiber rope as a heat stop between the outer arch, landing and events section

My intention is to encircle the dome perimeter with the 3” thick orange arc Bricks which the blanket and finish covering will “rest“ on.

My greatest question/ Concern is this; do I need to insulate the outside arches/chimney?

My secondary questions are;
    Do I need to fill-in/smooth the gaps/surface around the dome before the blanket?
    What type of mortar and waterproofing materials are recommended for the finish stone I will be using?

I intend/expect to do the initial firing/during after the insulation blanket. Is there a good link for a firing schedule?
    Also, is chicken wire a no-no for securing fire blanket?

I appreciate any information and opinions. Also if there are other concerns, please advise.

-David G
    Last edited by djginivisian; 08-19-2018, 09:32 AM.
Working...
X