• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiling outer arch?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	421540 First off I would like to thank all the members for taking the time to post their builds on the forum. The amount of information available to us first time builders is extremely helpful. I’ve spent the past year reading and enjoying everyone of the documented builds.
    I’ve spent the past few months building our oven, have it insulated and perlite on the dome. Going to tile the dome, but having difficulty’s Click image for larger version

Name:	B1CE3BAC-48E8-47D2-98A6-BE41C9C6DDDB.jpeg
Views:	821
Size:	955.7 KB
ID:	421539 transitioning the tile to the outer arch. My questions are, can I attach the tiles directly to the outer arch side bricks with refractory home brew? Or should I put a couple inches of perlite on the outer arch? I’ve used the oven already and noticed the upper part of the arch near the vent gets pretty hot. I’m afraid if I tile directly to it, the tiles will just pop off. My outer arch is free floating from the dome, with ceramic rope between them. I plan on casting a 2” decorative face to go over the front of the arch. The plan being to use colored concrete with glass imbedded in it and polishing it out. Attaching the face with the home brew when completed. It will all have a roof built over the oven with the stainless steel vent going through it. Is concrete used for countertops ok for the front casting or should I use a refractory type casting? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
    Carl

I've been researching the same thing. Laying tile directly on firebrick.

Look here: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...723#post419723

So I found 'monoflex' on the giant brain but it appears to be an Australian product available in Oz and NZ.
    I searched 'flexible mortar' and found

https://www.tecspecialty.com/product...in-set-mortar/

Which appears to be suitable. Maybe some of the guys that specialize in material science can comment.

Nice work. Looks good

-George
    - George

My Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Thank your George,
      By the way, you did some beautiful brick work. Mine’s not so pretty, but it’s functional.
      I looked at a picture of David s. And I see how he did a decorative arch. But I didn’t do that. My outer arch gets pretty hot at the top transition to the vent. I’m concerned the thinset would deteriorate and pop off the tiles. I plan on making a decorative casting for the front and attach it with home brew. I think for peace of mind, I’m going to make a form and put a couple inches of perlite on the sides of the arch before tiles. Do you think I should do a relief cut to separate the perlite on the side of the arch from the dome since my outer arch is not attached to the oven? Was thinking I could silicone the seam between the tiles on the arch and the tiles on the dome.
      Thanks
      Carl

Comment

Originally posted by CarlN View Post
        Thank your George,
        Do you think I should do a relief cut to separate the perlite on the side of the arch from the dome since my outer arch is not attached to the oven? Was thinking I could silicone the seam between the tiles on the arch and the tiles on the dome.
        Thanks
        Carl
        Looks like the Pcrete over your dome is already in contact with your outer arch which for me is no big deal. The pcrete isn't going to transfer heat in either direction very efficiently.
        If you decide to create a 'mini break', rather than doing a cut, consider putting a thin layer of cardboard between the two, then at an appropriate moment pull it out and there's your gap/seam.
        As always, I'd like to see what more experienced members think.

- George

My Build
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Had a change of plans again. Decided to attach flagstone directly to the outer arch front and sides with home brew. Tile the rest of the dome. Wife likes that better and little less work for me.
          Thanks for your feedback.
          Carl

Comment

How hot does the surface get? There is a construction adhesive called “Fuze it” that bonds everything and has a maximum service temperature of 300F. That might work in this situation.

I hope it turns out well whatever you choose

Comment

Working...
            X