Steel Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Vent

Just finished building my dome, time to finalise my vent design.

My design goals for landing and vent were:
    1. As shallow as possible, making it easier to reach inside the oven
    2. Thermally insulated from the dome, to keep all heat inside when baking bread
    I was thinking about a steel vent, bolted into the heart. Sealed against the dome with a heat resistant silicone or rope.
    (This would need to be a built-to-order).

Any nice steel vent designs out there for inspiration?
    Any thought about the proposed design below?
    Does it have to be stainless steel or would regular steel suffice?
    What temperature will the exhaust have?
    Should I consider a double-walled design instead, to keep things acceptably cool from the outside?
    Any ideas of how to treat the vermiculite-steel interface? (eg. how to leave a gap to accommodate for thermal expansion while staying weather-proof) ?

I can’t answer any of this as I have many of the same questions.

My exhaust is going up over the brick dome and out the center. I plan on using a castable refractory to build that portion but after that I’m at a loss.

I also can’t seem to locate any 8” chimney pipe locally here in Houston so if anyone has an answer to that it would be appreciated!!!

Comment

15 months and many firings, later i can answer some of my own question. Went for 4mm stainless steel. Double walled chamber with ceramic blanket in between. It is bolted to the heart, the chimney is single walled. Inner wall is (smoke) sealed with ceramic rope, Outer wall is water sealed aganst the dome finish with a high temp silicone.

Are you also considering a steel smoke chamber?

Comment

Working...
      X