Ceramic board temperature, function of concrete base question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic board temperature, function of concrete base question

I looking for information on the actual temperature of the ceramic board insulation on the outside (exterior of the board. Anyone install a thermistor to check the temp between the ceramic insulation board and concrete base?
    A better direct question would be if I had a 1200 degree oven temperature (don’t plan on it) with 2.5 inch fire brick floor with 3 inches (75mm) of ceramic 2300 degree F (1260 degree C) would it melt or negativity effect polyisocyanurate insulation under that, it has a appropriate 230 degree melting point? Underneath that would be an aluminum or durarock base to protect from weather and such. I’m thinking worse case on a hot ambient temperature day. Does the traditional concrete base serve any other purpose other then a flat, stable, strong surface to build on? Any thermal properties I’m missing?
    I’m building a stainless dome interior oven and would like to eliminate the concrete base mostly to save weight, I d like to move it around once completed including the base.

It is nothing more than a structural slab to build your oven on. If you made the base out of something strong and fire resistant that would support the weight if your oven you are good. I also think if you had 3" of ceramic board you would need nothing more underneath that.

Ricky
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Thanks, I will likely just go with a layer or 2 of well supported durorock for a base. I was hoping someone would have some hard data on the temperature differential inside/outside. My plan is to install thermistors during the build just to see the temps at various places. Between the floor brick and insulation and under the insulation. Should be able to get some good numbers with that along with ambient temps. Thermistors are pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
      X