Igloo insulation options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igloo insulation options

I plan on going with the igloo style for my oven, but was wondering how exactly I'm going to insulate the dome and finish it. I know for sure I'll be using a ceramic blanket, but I'd really rather not have to deal with making up any kind of insulating concrete if I don't have to. Is it acceptable to use just the blankets and then a couple layers of stucco, or will that be too susceptible to damage? I had planned on maybe 3-4 inches on the sides and 5-6 on the top for the ceramic blanket. Thanks for any advice for or against.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Re: Igloo insulation options

bump. Anyone?
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

RLF5
      Check the plans but I think you can... James says you can use one or both or a combination. If only blanket I think you would want at least 3".

I'm using 2" (3" on the apex) of blanket plus 4 inchs of perlcrete.

The insulating concrete isn't that tough to work with... I would use some "poultry netting" so the stucco can adhere to.

Dick

see my pics in "thebadger build"

Comment

i wanted the dome exposed, what i did was put blanket over dome followed by 4 inches verm insulating crete (put on in 2 aplications ) then followed by a finish stucco . after a few pizza partys developed hairline cracks in the finish stucco from expansion / contraction . wondered what to do then remembered a product we use on chimney crowns called crown coat . its a brush on sealant that goes on at about 1/16 th inch thickness . its flexible , waterproof and spans existing small cracks . when dry it it a nice gray color . my ultimate plan is to clad the dome in a thin venneer stone but in the mean time i wont have to worry about water infiltration . if you want more info ChimneySaver - The Leader In Chimney Protection

Comment

You could go without the vermicrete and just do the stucco...however I think you will be a bit more pleased if you do a layer of vermicrete. It is lighter weight and should not compress the blanket insulation as much...then the stucco coat.
          All the best!
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Personally, I don't see a problem with making vermiculite cement insulating over the thermal blanket. You will need some chicken wire and a little patience but not difficault to apply.
            It will not only add to the insulation (which would have little to do if you plan on such a thick layer of blanket, BUT would certainly use a thickish layer purely for a substantial base for your stucco layer. Other wise, your stucco layer will damage quite easily and you will still need to get it to cover the soft flexible wool surface.
            In my Pompeii construction, I used only a 1" blanket layer and 3" of vermiculite topped off with a thin stucco layer. No heat loss when the oven is over 500˚C, so it does work and work well.
            You can view it, and the reccommended method of application at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-4-a-2045.html

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

My oven is going to be enclosed under a roof. I plan on using 2" of the blanket insulation. Could I just use perlite or vermiculite and loose fill the void between the roof and the igloo, or do I need to mix it with concrete?

Comment

Ok I think i've settled on a plan. I'll have 2" of blanket on the sides and 5-6 on the top. Then a 1.5-2" layer of percrete and 1" layer of stucco. Hopefully it will have enough integrity not to damage.
                Oven Progress
                Bread Photos
                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

First layer of ceramic blanket.
                  Oven Progress
                  Bread Photos
                  Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I covered mine with about 2 layers of 1/2 blanket.

Then I built a screen covered structure with about 6-8 inches of space around the dome. Then I filled the space with several bags of perlite and vermiculite.

I've just got to the finishing portion. I've started with the chimney. I am going to cover the "loose" vermiculite with chicken wire followed with about 2 inches of mortar. Then I will top it if off with Stucco.

The reason I did it this way.... was because I wanted to keep the dome shape, BUT I wanted the insulating properties of loose vermiculite. (The cement has to lower the insulating value)

The screen has stretched some, so I've added more verm. But once I get the mortar layer on.. it should be pretty stout. The top will need more filling because some has fallen down the sides. So in essence, by procrastinating my finish out, I've benefited ie. thicker insulation on the sides and when I top it off, thicker insulation will coat the top as well.

I've got some pics if you want to see what I mean.
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Just added another layer of insulation. That makes 2" on the sides and about 5 on top. I also got around to making a temporary door. The front is just a piece of birch plywood with a handle. The middle is a 2" piece of insulation board wrapped in foil. The back is a piece of stucco lathe to hold in the insulation. Seems to work quite well.
                      Oven Progress
                      Bread Photos
                      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Working...
                      X