Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney pots

Has anyone used one of these? Clay Chimney Pots

They're very attractive. I just haven't figured out how to make one work on top of my (as yet) non-existent flue. I also don't know how expensive they are... but they look really cool.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: Chimney pots

Superior clay isn't shy about pricing their products. The only thing of theirs I ever bought was a rumford throat for a fireplace, and I gasped when I heard the price. The good thing is that the modern chimney caps are sized exactly to fit over the protruding flue tile at the top of your chimney. Many styles come in two sizes so you can have an 8 by 8 oven flue and a 8 by 12 fireplace flue with complementary chimney caps. They are also made from refractory clay, unlike the old ones which are pretty much plain terra cotta.

Hey! HEADS UP! here's one in N. VA. on craigslist today, for 150usd, which when I was googling around is super cheap.

antique chimney pot
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

As usual, the UK has us beat in all things masonry (except firebrick pricing)

The Chimney Pot Shop Product 1
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Did you see these ones?

No9 Studio UK - Product Range - Chimneys
        Chimney Pots from ChimneyPot.com –

Alas, too much for my budget to bear... but I would have loved to have one of those dragon chimneys on my oven!!!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Sigh. Too much for my budget to bear as well.. But they're lovely. I'll just have to keep my eyes open and work out a way to accomodate one later if it falls into my hands.

My husband wants me to make what he calls a "venetian style one". I'll have to get him to find me a picture, because I don't remember what they looked like. (I was too busy looking at the mosaic fronts on the houses to see the chimneys!)
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I just bought a chimney pot for my oven yesterday. I built my oven 3 years ago knowing the day I found one I would install it. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to agree with me. I'll post a picture when finished.

Comment

Personally, I would think having an elaborate chimney pot would make your oven look disproportionate and would draw your focal point away from the oven itself. I find elegance in simplicity....

Comment

I've had a home made version of a chimney pot installed, the actual chimney pot I bought is very similar in size, and will finish my work of art very tastefully.

Comment

Each to their own, some want simplicity others elaborate detail. I am sure the chimney pot will be a great addition to you build. Send a pic when your done.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

one thing to consider . most chimney pots do not experience really high heat , they are usually 1 or 2 stories above the heat source .. I have cracked every clay flue tile on my mark I oven [ the Mark II has a steel flue ].

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                      Did you see these ones?

No9 Studio UK - Product Range - Chimneys
                      Chimney Pots from ChimneyPot.com –

Alas, too much for my budget to bear... but I would have loved to have one of those dragon chimneys on my oven!!!
                      Francis , as someone who made clay dragons for a living in the 70's and 80's if I thought about making a chimney pot dragon with the shrikage and the heat/crack factor I would lie down till the feeling went away . Not to say it can't be done i'm just to lazy .

Comment

Hello, Just reading through the post and I considered a chimney pot but lucky was able to acquire a 2.5' clay sewer pipe from he local construction crew and they are fairly reasonable to purchase; Overall I'm happy with the look.

Comment

Looks good , I would caution you to warm up your oven with small fires so as not to heat up your chimney too quickly . [ themal shock ]
                          I used clay chimney tiles on my first oven and did not leave enough expansion room around the clay and they cracked .. Years on they still function , just they have a crack .

Comment

Working...
                          X