Squirrely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrely?

I seem to remember some discussion of the squirrel tail chimney design around here but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm debating using a squirrel tail and was wondering what other folks thought? Anyone actually use one?

I remember (although it might not have been here) there being a question of why the squirrel tail had been used at all - I've seen pics of several 18th Century ovens using the squirrel tail. I've been doing some reading of late about rocket and masonry ovens (my big dream is to someday build a house out of cob - okay, that and I'm a construction geek) and I'm wondering if heat recovery might not have played a role. Granted, it wouldn't be huge but it would help with the top of the oven.

For myself, I like the idea of venting out the back but rear chimneys have serious heat loss drawbacks. The squirrel tail seems a good compromise there and if it recovers some heat all the better.

So, what do you guys think?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Squirrely?

Howdy Archena,

Remember the part where the only silly question is the one that isn't asked...

I don't know what a 'squirrel tail' chimney is.

Is this a description of form or function? (or building materials?)

Thanks,

JED

Comment

Opps, sorry 'bout that. Click image for larger version

Name:	8835.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	271547

Here's a pic:Click image for larger version

Name:	ovenpa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	271546

It came from here: Cooking Rumford
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

They did a squirrel tail on this oven build....

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Cool - I'll look at it when I get home. It may have loaded by then...

Stupid dial-up....

[/CENTER]

Comment

Okay, I got it. I had seen that a while back but couldn't find it in my tags yesterday. That's the kind of chimney I meant.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Glad to help!

I'm probably going to do a version of it to get the chimnney out the back of the BenjaMia building.

I have some kiln shelves I'm thinking about using as a cap.
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

If there is a building inspector involved, you will need no more than a 30 degree angle in the flue. This is the largest angle a flue cleaning brush can get past. This pretty much rules out a squirrel tail.

I feel that the theory that the flue gases contribute to the heating of the dome is ruled out by the fact that the draft contributes to the cooling of the dome when you do retained heat cooking. You want insulation on top of the oven, of all places.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                X