web analytics
chimney eating fumes? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community


No announcement yet.

chimney eating fumes?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • chimney eating fumes?

    Have those of you with an igloo shape who've left your pipe bare also left it so you can replace the pipe? I can't tell from any of the pictures I've looked at- in some, it looks as though the stucco comes up over the transition from plate to pipe, and I can't tell whether that makes replacement impossible.

    I'm a bit unclear as well on the effect the fumes/acids have on the stainless double wall pipe and plate. Will they eat that too eventually, or is that just a problem with the regular single wall stove pipe? And really, how fast would it happen, anyway?

    No matter where I get my parts, it's a substantial amount of money, so I'm trying to figure out whether a chimney pot would be better at this point or not! Of course, I'm also not sure my arch can hold one up... (I always have those doubts, you know, no matter how good it looks at the moment!)


  • #2
    Re: chimney eating fumes?

    I used a single walled 8 inch piece and a metal transition.
    I covered it with chicken wire and coated that with high heat mortar, vermcrete, and stucco.

    So far so good, but it hasn't been to long... I guess if the pipe corrodes I will still have a hole .... Not sure how strong it will be...

    It does have a few hairline cracks in the stucco.
    My thread:
    My costs:
    My pics:


    • #3
      Re: chimney eating fumes?

      Depending on your chimney void, it it easy to fold up a bit of stainless steel into a inverted funnel with a rim of steel on top to take a section of flue. Mine is the picture attached and I am building one for hendo's oven which will then complete the oven itself, only the enclosure and roof to go. Very quick, easy, cheap and a breeze to replace the flue(s).
      Mine, I have 3 flues rising 10 feet, just been sitting there for 12 months without screwing together, ot stabilised. I can just go up to it and dismantle or replace it in a minute or so but don't expect that for at least 10 years. My flue pipes are only galvanised steel as stainless once it gets hot from welding or a good fire will rust just as quickly as a steel flue. Stainless steel must be 'passivated' with very strong acids (hydroflouric, hydrochloric and nitric acids) to eat off all the oxide scale caused through the heating process.

      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

      The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

      Neillís Pompeiii #1
      Neillís kitchen underway