chimney question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney question

I have just sourced 8" square chimney liners from a local building centre. I was planning on using clay ones but couldnt find any.

I am concerned about the draw using these liners as they are made from a lightweight pumice like material. I know that I will get draw from the height of the chimney but I thought that you also needed heat retention in the chimney itself.

I could not get any info on these liners as the centre was trying to sell them off to make way for new stock, so I did get a deal.

If I need to I could make up a clay/cement mix to add thermal mass to the inside of the chimney.

Re: chimney question

Chimney lining is done fairly routinely, but you shouldn't have to do it with a new chimney.

I don't get something. The UK is full of chimneys, multiple ones on every building. Every one has a round red clay chimney liner sticking out of it. I think it would be pretty common.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

yes, I agree.

Those buildings are over 100 years old though and there are loads of chimney pots in the reclamation yards, just no clay liners. What they do have are the pummice like liners and lots of larger heavy cement based liners.

I could of ordered clay liners, but I was impatient and the ones I bought, described above, were a perfect physical fit for my oven.

I will be bricking up around these liners anyway and finishing off with a really nice clay chimney pot!. I just wanted to make sure that my rushed material choice for the liner was not going to reduce the performance of my oven.

Brad

Comment

I just wanted to make sure that my rushed material choice for the liner was not going to reduce the performance of my oven.
        No, I'm sure if it's sold as a chimney liner, it will work just fine. Show us pictures when you get the material.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

will do,

I need to upload all of my pics of the build.

Comment

Working...
          X