Gable house roof design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gable house roof design

I know nothing about roof design, but I hope to be able to copy what others have done as I design and build my enclosure. The pics below show 2 styles that would probably work for me, but is one stronger than the other? For a roofing material, I think I want to use decorative metal tiles or imitation slate or something similar, so it might be heavier than just sheet metal. The design with a beam running the length of the peak looks easier to build, but is it as strong as the homemade trusses?

Also, can I use backerboard as an underlayment, or is plywood necessary for some materials?

Daren
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Gable house roof design

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
    The pics below show 2 styles that would probably work for me, but is one stronger than the other?
    I'm really familiar with that first design . Like you, I don't know squat about roofing. After making the trusses, I added bracing where I thought I needed it. Once I added my braces the whole thing became solid as a rock. In comparing the two styles I think strength is likely a wash. I suspect the other style would be plenty strong (and maybe easier to build).

In the same way drywall firms up 2x4 room framing, your backer board will firm up about any roof design.

Also, can I use backerboard as an underlayment, or is plywood necessary for some materials?
    Plywood is easy to screw into, but I wouldn't do it because of flammability issues. My oven insulation is only slightly warm to the touch at full heat. I have no doubt that plywood would probably be OK. But I'm a worst case scenario kind of guy. Under all that insulation is an ugly monster that can spontaneously ignite any wood exposed to it. If something should happen to your insulation... enough said

I don't know what you could use as backer board. I guess Hardibacker would work, but I'll let someone else jump in and give you good advice.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      I'm really familiar with that first design .
      Even with my expert cropping job? Hope you don't mind my using your pic as an example. But anyone who has been following my build knows by now that I've been trying to follow in your footsteps, so it's no surprise. Maybe my roof will be different, at least!

Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
        Even with my expert cropping job? Hope you don't mind my using your pic as an example.
        Shoot, I don't mind! I stole all my building techniques from others here. That's what this place is for!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I've been able to figure everything out up till now. Guess I'm just brain dead since I've never done anything like this. I have the dome finished and cured but am at the metal stud structure point. I've never work with it and am stuck on the roof. I see how you built the individual roof trusses but I am not sure on how you attach them to the top of the walls.

Mark

Comment

I'm out of my element here, but a search of the photo gallery should provide some hints. Here's one by mfiore:

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks like the rafters are tabbed to the top of the side wall.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I used little L-shaped metal brackets from the hardware store, 2 per truss. Each bracket takes 4 screws, 2 into the truss and 2 into the top of the stud wall. Seems to hold them in place pretty well. You could make your own with stud scraps.
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

It takes some practice, but you can notch the metal beams and fold down a tab to screw thru,, Hope you can figure that out from the way Im explaining, It is a common practice to cut metal beams slightly larger and cut and fold the ends for screw tabs..

Mark

I tried finding a pic, but couldnt sorry

Comment

Mark, I followed Daren's lead and used little L-shaped brackets. I also made some tabs myself from flattened pieces of metal studs.

I found it to be helpful to look at the Picasa web albums from several builders. They often have many more photos than the FB photo page.

Feel free to look at mine, but also check out:

Daren's Picasa Web Albums - Daren - Hansen Horno

Bill's Picasa Web Albums - Bill - Bill's Wood F...

Dino's Picasa Web Albums - Dino

Ken's Picasa Web Albums - Ken

There are plenty others, but hopefully that will give you a start.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks everyone for getting me on the right track with the gable construction. I really like Bill's door with the thermometer. Can any direct me to his post so I might ask him where he purchased the thermometer?

Thanks everyone, this helps a lot.

Mark

Comment

I'm with Mark, with very little practice you can figure out the cut and fold "tab" method. All you need are tin snips and pan head/metal framing/zip screws. I would think truss plates or brackets would only be necessary if supporting a very heavy roofing material (slate, or cement barrel type tile).

RT

Comment

Working...
                      X