chimney placement and door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney placement and door

I am in the middle of my pompeii oven construction. I am getting ready to plan vent and door location. In almost all photos of other ovens, it appears the vent is in front of [anterior] to the potential door location. My question is this.... I thought the purpose of the door is to keep the heat inside the oven. If the door is kept closed, won't this prevent smoke from leaving the oven and also preventing oxygen from entering to continue the fire?

Re: chimney placement and door

I had the identical question. Here is what the collective had to say http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...door-2504.html

Jim

Comment

Thanks! I would like to see an example of the same door in each position. I am considering of having a cast iron type vent that is exposed to look rustic and so would do without the second arch in front. I am wondering if that would create issues of two much air entry into the oven...

Comment

Hmmm, the reason my door(s) work in both positions is that the dimensions of the entry is identical in front and in back of the vent. You don't want to have a lot of space around the door (other than what you intend) when acting as a draft door in front of the vent. In your case you would want the top of the draft door to conform to whatever shape the front-bottom of your cast iron vent is. If the vent will simply be an overhang you will need "walls" on your door - - either way you are probably looking at two doors; one for draft and smoking and one for heat retention, which would not be uncommon.

Comment

I read the other thread concerning door placement and the vent. Out of curiosity, what are you typically doing/cooking when your door is in the draft position?

IfI am mainly doing pizza & calzones, do I even need a door or will I be sorry?

Comment

I would say NO door of any kind for pizza, at the temps we use the pizza would be scorched by the time you put the pizza peel down, placed the door, then immediately removed the door to turn the pizza, placed the door again, then immediately removed it again. No benefit, and almost certain ruined pizza attempting to use a door.
            Remember pizza cooks in about 2 minutes (or less) and needs turned at least once. There is a fine line between a perfect pizza and a slab of ash.

RT

Comment

Even with just pizza and calzone a door (draft) is a good thing to have to accelerate the firing. But most, once the oven is 700+ and the last pizza crust eaten hate to see that heat go to waste so they create some fashion of insulated door to try to extend the use of the heat for the better part of the week, challenging themselves to come up with creative ways and foods to use it.

Smoking is the only type of cooking I have read where the door is kept in the draft position (in front of the vent) with draft closed.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X