Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I seal the Exterior of my oven?

Hi guys,

I've built an oven myself from scatch using a relatively cheap method, which in short has a clay shell, with other layers of insulation over the top. I avoided the brick ovens because i didnt think i would be able to do the block work,

anyway...

my question is based on the finish coat of my oven which is a thin brushed on layer of sieved sand, cement and clay, with a little oxide for colour. I have since found out that this layer is not weather proof. when it rains, it seems to slowly wash off this thin layer.

can i use a comercial type sealer to possibly fix this problem? can you think of any problems that this may cause on my oven. ie chemicals near food??? is this a a big no no.

I hope you can help me

kind regards to all

Re: Can I seal the Exterior of my oven?

I suggest that you just cover it with an acrylic stucco - thats the route I went. The stuff is bullet proof.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I'm using an acrylic stucco called, "Multitex". Like Les says, it's bulletproof!
      It can be tinted to a suitable colour or it can be painted over with something like Dulux Tuscan or Solaguard Stone Finish.
      I'm also in Oz, so I know you'll be able to get the products.
      Last edited by Balthazar; 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Try what they call flexible pointing. It is a flexible acrylic that will withstand the expansion created from the heat. It is hard to apply but I found it easier to thin it down with water and apply it like a thick paint, about three coats to give you about 3-4 mm total thickness. The stuff is designed for sealing terracotta or concrete ridge caps and is a standard roof tilers item. Wait until your oven is toally dry (say 5 cooking firings after your curing fires) You don't want to lock in the moisture.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X