Chimney Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Cost

What's an appropriate ammount to pay for the chimney?

Re: Chimney Cost

What type? Duravent, clay liners?
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

A year ago I paid $11.00 per piece of 8" x 8" x 24" flue tile at the local brickyard. A masonry enclosure and chimney cap will cost a lot more than that. It's still a bargain for a flue system that will last a century or more.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very open ended question. Are you planning an oven indoors or out? Do you live someplace with zoning and inspection requirements or outside the city? Are you building close to other structures, or away from everything? Are you going to have a roof over the oven or not, that you may have to pass through?

All of these issues drive what you must do for your specific chimney. Have you posted about what you have in mind and where yet? I may have missed it, but the folks here can, and willingly, will help you decide what is best for whatever you have in mind

On the other hand, I understand your question completely, since that is one of the things I still don't have a clear about what I am going to do either!

Travis
        TravisNTexas

Comment

Travis -

Such decisions! I'm still not quite sure what I have in mind, I seem to change ideas so often... I think all I really want is great pizza!

Comment

Yeah, I know

But when it comes to chimneys, unfortunately things seem to get a bit complicated.

Pizza oven chimneys get hot, like at or above 1000 degrees hot.

If you live in a city then you may have local codes and inspections that will determine what you have to do. If you live outside a city, you just want it to be safe. If you have to penetrate a roof, then you need to be careful.

If you are near other roofs, or other tall things that might block the wind then you may need a tall chimney. If your oven will be out by itself then you can get buy with a much shorter chimney. If you don't care if smoke pours out the front, then you can get by with no chimney, though that does not seem to be much of an option, and I think that the draft created by a chimney does help your fire a great deal. You have to create a draw with a pizza oven. Cold air goes into the bottom of the door to feed the fire, and hot air goes out the top of the same door and up the chimney, which is what draws the cold air in in the first place A hot chimney flue helps this a lot, by actually helping the hot air draw out of the oven, sucking cold oxygen loaded air in the bottom to feed the fire.

If you have the money, then go with the prefabed stainless chimney flue kits, unless you just want the challenge of building one.

I don't have a clue what I will do yet. I am outside the city and have no codes that I have to follow. With what I am planning I will have to penetrate a roof though, and I will have to go at least 12 feet high or so to clear the roof and get wind across the top. I like what folks have done here with clay flues, but the just buy the kit approach sounds easy (but they are very expensive from what I understand).

Just my two bits again, but I am excited about building my oven and am looking into all these things, so I just wanted to share what I have figured out so far

Travis
            TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
            X