What size Flue works best???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Flue works best???

Hi, I'm a newby; and got interested in this during a recent trip to Italy (Beautiful wood oven cooked food). I have laid my slab, bought my FB etc but am having trouble working out the best flue size and method.
    I have a 4 1/2" flue but feel that may be too narrow given what I have read on these forums. Is 8" the way to go?
    Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, is the flue located between the oven entrance / door; and the opening of the shaft that fronts the igloo?
    Does this alter with a dampened flue?
    Sorry, so many questions and so little knowledge. Any help appreciated,

Happy cooking, Benny

Re: What size Flue works best???

Hi Benny,
    and I welcome yet not just another Australian, but another Adelaidian to the forum!
    I think you are the eleventh member from Adelaide on here.
    Where abouts in this fine city are you located?
    When you say that "bought my FB etc", did you purchase one of their modular ovens or are you building a Pompeii? If so, what size oven are you installing because a smaller one, say 36" or smaller would draw OK with a 6" flue but I have a 40" with an 8" by 10 ft flue and it works a treat.
    Check out my build (on the bottom of this posting) as it shows all the pictures of the build, my chimney void and flue.
    I also have heaps of threads that you might find interesting as I am local to you.
    There are a heap of information within thei forum, just use the search function and failing that, well, just throw out some questions for anyone who is knowledgeable will chime in and provide some opinions.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Neill,

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at the forum for a couple of weeks before I decided to sign up - a bit shy of so called 'chat rooms' though this is a forum. It seems a very good site.

I am building my own oven from scratch. I bought fire bricks from Littlehampton Brickworks. I am constructing one with a 1 metre (39") circular base with and 'igloo' dome. I picked up a second hand 4 1/2" flue but because of what I had read in the forum became concerned that the diameter was too small for it to draw correctly. Basically I have studied what I could on the internet & from what I have seen and using all those borrowed ideas have started my construction. I'm trying to keep costs down where I can but don't want to end up with a dud; so realise I have to spend money to get good materials.

I didn't know there was so much interest in wood ovens in Adelaide.

Thanks again, always interested in ANY advice.

Benny

Comment

Hey Benny,
        you are more than welcome to come around, have a look, ask all your questions and if it is on a firing day, (usually on a week-end), get a pizza or two into you. There is only one catch though, I make the dough and you do the rest, the rolling out, assembly AND COOKING!!!!!

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Neill,

That sounds great. Weekends are a bit hectic just at the moment but let me know when suits you and I will try and escape. (not this weekend though).

I'm just east of Adelaide so not too far from most places.

I'm not too bad a cook but have never cooked in a REAL OVEN.

Cheers,

Benny

Comment

Hi Neill,

I'm building a 42 Pompeii and looking for pics on what the flue should look like. I plan to run the flue starting outside the door arch, then up toward the center of he dome and then vertical. Also, do i need to leave space between the center of the dome and flue...for vermeculige? Any help is appreciated. I'm totaly a novist here. Oh yes, where do I get the flue?

Thanks,

Domenico

Comment

Hi,

Realise I am picking up an ancient thread here however.....

I have the dome up on my 42" (well slightly over actually) oven, and am tearing my hair out trying to source a cost effective 8" stainless flue in Adelaide. Is there anyone out there in Bravo land that can point me in the right direction? I do not want to pay $500 for a flue. Maybe a galv flue would do the job?

Thanks in advance

Rohan

Comment

Galvanized will rot out. Try clay flue liner instead. It's much cheaper. You have to build the vent transition to fit t, but I posted a thread with a method to build the transition.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the response

Comment

Hi Rohan,

Try A&B industries 5 Bremen Drive, Salisbury. I have been speaking with Harry there and he has been very helpful. Their prices seem quite good.

Cheers

Craig
                    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Wood burning fireplaces aren't as common here anymore, either. Some codes are banning them.

Try masonry supply houses for the liner. That's where I find it. Myou might also send a message to Brickie in Oz on the board here. He would likely know where to find it down under.

Comment

Thankyou all for your input. Craig, I will certainly try A & B industries. Yep, clay liners are very hard to find in Australia from what I can tell!

Cheers Rohan

Comment

Rogan,
                          I found them ok fine. Also in that area have a look at Air Diffusion, they supply to the HVAC industry
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I had a recent conversation with John from Bennetts Pottery in Magill about using a terracotta clay flue for my oven. His concern was the amount of heat from the oven would cause the terracotta to crack with the flue so close to the heat source, as generally the clay flue part is on the top of a chimney well away from the heat source.

Craig
                            "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                            The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi, I’m trying my luck and posting to an old thread. I have a 900mm brick oven I’ve built and looking for advice on a flue
                              length. I have a 100mm flue ready which will be mounted
                              near the mouth of the door. Hope you can help?

Comment

Working...
                              X