Joining stainless steel flu sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining stainless steel flu sections

Hi. I have two 900mm sections of stainless steel flu I need to join. I can join them by using self tapping screws but was wondering if there is a product out there that can be used to seal them eg a high temp silicone product?

Thanks
    Jase

Re: Joining stainless steel flu sections

Jase,
    each section should have one end that has been rolled/corrugated and the diameter reduced slightly to fit inside another. These sections are normally rolled parallel, ie. they are the same diameter both ends which is unlike most plumbing drain pipes which have one end slightly smaller than the other.
    I just sat mine in the other (3 high) and leave it at that, yes unsupported and surprisingly sturdy. It is now supported by the new patio roof where it goes through it but was unsupported for a year without trouble. My chimney is 10" and not a screw in it just a snug fit and no smoke leaks.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Stainless steel pop rivets work well. I've just done some tests on some silicone sealants and found Dow Corning 732 is adequate.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

there is a red silicone that can be bought from auto spare part stores that is designed for high temp like car exhaust etc which i would imagine would be fine to use.
        Real men cook with fire
        My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Just be careful, a high temp silicon that was recommended to me contained carcinogen, so I bypassed that one. Check what's in it from its MSDS sheet.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice.

I ended up just slipping the sections into one another and they are holding very well. I did put some self tapping SS screws in just to be sure.

Cheers
            Jase

Comment

Working...
            X