Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding casa 90 / duratech pipe with a chase

Hi,
    I have the Casa 90 with the duratech chimney. Was going to go with the igloo / stucco finish ... but was directed by my architecture committee (the wife ... no homeowners assoc here) to make it look nicer. That meant hide the stainless steel chimney pipe. So, I am doing a walled house enclosure (flat roof), with (I think) a chase to hide the pipe. I've searched a bunch on the forum and got some ideas, but still have a few basic questions:

1. I am thinking about building a simple, tapered (larger at bottom, smaller at top) chase from metal studs, covered with cement board. I was going to leave the interior empty. Any problems with this?

2. Not sure about the top / transition. Can I just top it off with a piece of cement board, with silicon caulk sealing the gap between the cement board and the pipe? From other posts, it seems that the pipe shouldn't be too hot, and silicon caulk can take a lot of heat anyway.

3. If I can go with the design above, how much of the pipe should stick up out of the chase? Can I get away with just enough to let me put on the spark arrestor / cap?

Still investigating options to cover the cement board, probably stucco.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Hiding casa 90 / duratech pipe with a chase

Originally posted by giambra View Post
    Hi,
    1. I am thinking about building a simple, tapered (larger at bottom, smaller at top) chase from metal studs, covered with cement board. I was going to leave the interior empty. Any problems with this?

2. Not sure about the top / transition. Can I just top it off with a piece of cement board, with silicon caulk sealing the gap between the cement board and the pipe? From other posts, it seems that the pipe shouldn't be too hot, and silicon caulk can take a lot of heat anyway.

3. If I can go with the design above, how much of the pipe should stick up out of the chase? Can I get away with just enough to let me put on the spark arrestor / cap?

Still investigating options to cover the cement board, probably stucco.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    #1 No problem at all...it is not necessary as the duratech is rated for zero or little clearance and your materials are non-combustible...you could make it as close as you want or as far

#2 Pipe will really not be hot at all so you plan would be fine...my only suggestion is to give the cement board covering the top of your chase a bit of slope so that it does not hold any water...silicone the gap is fine

#3 Since you are trying to hide as much as possible go with the "just enough to put on the cap and spark arrestor...

As for options...if you fill the joints in the cement board(if you have any) using mortar like drywall joint compound you could just get some stucco and a nappy paint roller, mix the stucco a bit loose and paint it on
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Let us all know how this comes out... I'm thinking of doing something very similar, so I'd love to see what kind of progress you're making.
      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Sure ... let me post some pictures later tonight ... instead of a chase, I ended up going with the entire structure coming up near the top of the chimney pipe. I think its going to work out well. Finished my curing fires in it ... I don't think any issues.
        Tim

Comment

Hopefully my picture attachments will come out ok. I ended up building my walls higher .. up close to the bottom of the chimney. I have a slight slope from front to back. Cement board over the entire thing. I put a layer of surface bonding cement on the roof to give it some additional structure. I'll put a pond liner on top of that for water proofing. I haven't been able to stucco the walls as its turned colder here in North Carolina. I have to give some credit to Christo (in Wake Forest), he has given me some guidance. I think the shape came out better than I thought it would. Thought it might look wrong without some kind of molding around the top ... but I kind of like the look so far. I was a bit worried about heat from the chimney warming up the roof, but in my curing fires, the roof right below the chimney has not gotten above 90 degrees. I didn't measure the roof during my BSF (big scary fire), but felt it with my hand and I don't think it'll be a problem. I think the roof will get hotter in the summer sun than during a normal firing. I did get a bit of black soot on the roof, but I don't think its anything to worry about. The woman is happy ... she doesn't have to look at the stainless steel chimney. Tim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	274186

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	274187

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	274188

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	274189

Comment

I like that a lot -- and the first thing I thought was that it took a few visual queues from Christo's oven. Excellent. It looks good and the design review committed likes it. Well done!

And to double check -- you are OK with the space between the spark arrester and the top of the enclosure. Right?

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
              Thanks ... I did take some queues from Christo's outstanding work. I don't believe the spark arrestor being that close to the roof will be a problem. I think if I had it to do over again, I might put the roofline down another inch or two (just to be even more safe), but based on what I've seen so far, shouldn't be an issue.
              Tim

Comment

Oh man - I had no idea you were this far along!!!

It's looking great - you made great progress even with the damp cold and rain seeming to come every other day.

I was going to make a comment like - Hey wait a minute - those are my pictures on your page!!!! But I think you did a much nicer job than I! I can't wait to see the finished pics!!

As you can see from my recent pics - I have to wait until spring to finish coating my oven, too.

Nice Job!

Christo
                Last edited by christo; 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM.
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X