• Show
Clear All

Re: my insulated steel door.

Originally posted by boily View Post

That is really cool!!
    Toby

Comment

Nice job on the door. Could you tell me where I could buy handles like you used?

thanks.

Ely

Comment

Beautiful door, can you post a link for the thermometer, or tell me where to buy it.. Or If you really want you could build me one.....

Comment

michelevit, That is a great looking door. I am trying to have something fabricated using stainless steel, and I am trying to keep costs down. I can get the material for a front and back to sandwich a 1" U-channel. I was planning on using stainless steel barrel nuts with mated screws to keep it all together.

Do you have any experience drilling through stainless? I don't know how much it would be to have it welded, but I am guessing a bunch. I like your design though
          My Build Thread

Comment

Stainless is tough. Use a 135 degree split-tip cobalt or titanium bit, slow speed, preferably drill press, with a lubricant or coolant. Good luck.

Ely

Comment

Looking at the thermometer, it goes up to 290 C (~550 F). Is that high enough?

Comment

Here is the door. Still needs a few more bolts and I intend to put a lean guide on the bottom. It's made of 14 gauge 304 stainless steel outers with a 1"x1/8" piece of 304 stainless for the meat of the sandwich.

I slipped left over scraps of SuperIsol in there for insulation. If I find something else, it would be easy to open back up and change. Weighs about 20 pounds...haven't weighed it yet, but it's dang sturdy.

elyryder, sweet call on the drill bit...it was cake. Lubed it and I used a diamond set, made it go easily.

My Build Thread

Comment

its all looking great Timo,

One of these days I am going to get down to see it...
                  Peter
                  Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

It is simply beautiful!

Comment

How did you make this one and what materials did you use.

Tony

Comment

yes , what kind of cost are you asking for one like this.

Comment

Originally posted by michelevit View Post
                          Now that the pizza oven is done, its time to make the door. This is my second door. I wanted something decorative and functional. The door is made of double wall thin gauge steel. Its stuffed with leftover ceramic blanket and perlite. The thermometer is large 3 inch stainless. The handles are stainless steel and stay cool to the touch. No need for gloves to remove the door.

I was surprised how well the oven retains heat with this insulated door.
                          Post day temperature is over 400 degrees. Still hot enough to roast. Three days later and the temp is over 100 degrees! I threw a couple of logs and they are drying nicely for the next Sunday pizza.

Anyone interested in a door like this? I could make one with a cardboard or wood template of your oven door. I need something to make now that the oven is done. I?m located in San Jose, CA. The door is heavy, probably over 20 pounds.

more pics here....
                          Michele Vitarelli Photo Gallery | forno vitarelli | DSCN0834
                          I too need an oven door for my newly built oven. Are you in the biz??
                          Merry

Comment

We really need a welder to come up with a basic design that can be reproduced at a reasonable cost. I think there are many of us here who need a stainless insulated door and would be willing to pay up to a few hundred $ for a basic clean door built custom to template.

Comment

Originally posted by merryaz View Post
                              I too need an oven door for my newly built oven. Are you in the biz??
                              Merry
                              I have a local guy that is in the metal fabrication business and is making me one, but not of stainless. He recommended against using it. I'm not real sure of his reasoning, but I think he said it will buckle and not hold up. Keep in mind, this is not me saying this, only repeating what I was told, by a guy who works w/metal for a living. I have no personal experience working w/it around high temps. I do know I've seen quite a few builders on here use it for their doors. I did tell him that it would probably only be exposed to temps in the 7-800? range at most, but he didn't want to use it. Just my 2? worth.
                              My Build:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I made my door from aluminium sheet that I sourced as new material from a scrap metal dealer. The door is stuffed with ceramic fibre and the outside is wood.

This cost me very little, works very well and can be fabricated with a minimum of equipment, skill and time. I used an angle grinder with an alloy cutting wheel, aviation snips, drill, pop rivet gun and a file to tidy up any rough edges.

The attached pics show the general idea of how I constructed it and there are some with more detail in the build pics.

I hope this is of some use. The total cost was around $20 Aus.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X