...Speaking of Countertops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...Speaking of Countertops.

I have a nice slab of red granite that I would like to cut into a 18" X 5' length.
    So, what do you use? A saw, grinder... one billion jigga watt laser?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by PizzaPolice; 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM.

Re: ...Speaking of Countertops.

I have done that with a diamond blade on a regular skill saw. You can fill up a big plastic soda bottle with water, and puncture a hole to line up with the height of the middle of the blade -- so that you can squeeze the bottle and shoot a thin stream of water to keep the blade from getting too hot. Home Depot carries a cheap blade.

Anybody know where to pick up a good, cheap laser? :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One of our members claimed to unbolt the head from his HF 10" wet saw and use it freehand to make such cuts. (This is not a recommendation...) Do not neglect your local stoneyard, for a few bucks they'll cut it to the size you want, and polish the edges too. If it saves you from getting injured, it's cheap at any price.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you use a guide held in place with clamps, the skill saw method is safe and it does a pretty good job. I even cut 45? angles for indoor granite counters, and it came out nicely.

Just take your time and don't push the blade too hard or too fast.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have drilled small holes near the bottom of a tin can, filled it with water, and placed it on the surface to be cut. It provides a continuous stream of water to the surface to keep the skill saw blade cool provided both the saw and the tin can can both fit on the same surface.
          Fred Di Napoli

Comment

The Home Depot in my area rents several diamond blade concrete saws, from a hand held, gas powered, 14 inch to a bigger walk behind unit. I'd opt for the stone place to do the major long cuts, if they break it, you're not left holding the pieces.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X