Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finish advice needed for dome

Hi everyone!

I am looking to finish my dome with a gloss varnish/ lacquer. Something similar to the glaze on terracotta pots would be ideal, obviously after I have created some kind of pain effect.

I have built up my dome so that I have a virgin stucco/ plaster exterior that is now ready for my finish coat.

What would be the best material to use to create that glazed finish?

Brad

Re: finish advice needed for dome

Brad, You might find what you are looking for in a brush on linear polyurethane. Check with suppliers of boat stuff, don't get it confused with the floor type finish; this stuff is durable and tough and resists UV. It's about the only clear coating that I know of that actually resists the elements for any real length of time. It comes in colors as well, it's the only red paint I know of that doesn't fade to pink, and the burgundy doesn't turn to a muddy brown. Be fully aware the stuff is quite toxic during application, but after curing is quite benign. I've never seen it applied to a material like stone or cement or anything porous so you may be breaking new ground in using it on stucco etc.

Here's a link to one of the less expensive brands, and you can see they don't give it away:
    West Marine: 2-Part Linear Polyurethane Enamel Product Display

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

nice one Wiley,

I am not too worried about the UV resistance of the colour, as I plan to use a clear enamel over the top of the pain effect, however I wonder if the clear Linear enamel has UV filtering as this would protect the paints and that I use in my base coat.

I guess that normal Yatch Varnish is not in the same league as the Linear 2 part stuff.

Brad

Comment

I was thinking about a marine polyurethane topcoat, too. That stuff can protect and last for decades, and comes in very high gloss that would create a kind of glazed and fired ceramic effect when applied over paint. What a neat idea! Post pictures of the final product, however you end up doing it.
        Nikki

Comment

Acrylic stucco.

Comment

Can't help, but it sounds fascinating! Very cool idea...
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I wonder about fiberglas resin??
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
              X