Steel studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel studs

I'm planning a walled enclosure for my WFO. I've been reading the threads about working with steel studs (no experience with them). The books and internet articles state that the steel studs (as everyone is using them, with standard framing techniques) are intended for interior, non load-bearing walls. The walls on a WFO support the roof. With cement board, and potential slate tiles, this roof might be rather heavy. Is this OK for the steel studs, or do I need to use a different technique (different gauge steel, different width, etc) for strength?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Steel studs

Have to remember we building on a small scale here. I hope. Small area, less load. Also they make two grades, light and structural which is OK in load bearing walls. You can use structural since you are looking to build a heavy roof.

I think you could also double up the light duty studs, more work, but if you have trouble getting structural it is an option. If you are going with blankets and loose insulation, like I did, then there is no reason you need cement board on the roof. Wood would be fine.

I used light on 12" centers. I also went with Tech Shield OSB roofing panel and shingles, so no major weight to worry about. Still standing after a 70 mph gust that split the top half of a Hackberry tree right next to it.

Correction: Gee, would think I would do a better job of proof reading before posting. Jay is right, I meant to say 16" centers.
    Last edited by wlively; 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM. Reason: Correction
    Wade Lively

Comment

Hi Mike!

I am toying with enclosing my "dome" oven to give it better weatherproofing and water protection and have been considering my options. I can't imagine any roof the size of what we are talking about to cover a WFO requiring any more than the light duty studs. And, to be honest, I can't imagine needing to put them on 12 inch centers. This is, as Wade suggested, a very small "building" and even a "heavy" roof will not really weigh very much.

My plan on mine will be to use a steel roof (to match my house) so I will probably use nothing inside the steel roof - just leave it open...but then my oven is already fully insulated...

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how your job goes!
      Jay

Comment

Jay, Wade -

Thanks for the reply. I assumed it should be OK, if for no other reason than that's what others seem to be doing. Thought it better to double check.

Thanks again.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Just use structural for the corners and as a beam to join the corners at the top. A lot of the Home Depots carry both types.

Mark

Comment

Mike, how do you plan on fastening the track ("U" channel) to your concrete stand. Does this mount like any other base-plate? Will you pre-drill and install Red Tapcons? Or would a larger anchor bolt with epoxy drilled into the cement block stand be better?

Like you, I'm going to use light duty steel studs (easier to tin-snip) but put them closer together and try my hand at some horizontal straps or bracing. I've read that #8 self-tapping panhead screws should be used over #6 for more strength. Can't to see more construction pics of your oven! take care, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
              Mike, how do you plan on fastening the track ("U" channel) to your concrete stand. Does this mount like any other base-plate? Will you pre-drill and install Red Tapcons?
              That is exactly how I mounted my U-channel. We've had 70-80mph gusts in Louisville since my oven was completed. It's still here
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Glad you answered, Ken. I was not sure what to do yet.

Dino, I'm doing whatever anyone else did (did I mention I'm a follower, not a leader in this build)

What are red Tapcons. In the stores here, they are all blue.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I think Tapcon's are blue. Maybe another brand is red?
                  The picture on Tapcon's home page is what I used:
                  Tapcon Concrete Screws- Stainless Steel Concrete Screws for fastening to concrete, brick and block
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Hey, Dino -
                    Do you live in a red Tapcon screw state, or a blue Tapcon screw state??
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

I used these, had allot left over after building my deck. They also gave good compression when fastening thruogh the Vermiculite concrete layer.

ITW Red Head Trubolt
                      Wade Lively

Comment

Mike, my-bad, the Tap-cons are BLUE (in California and other states too). I just realized I bought some blue Tap-cons months ago and the drill bit they sell for it to mount an angle bracket to my outer arch for but-dressing (boy, did I just bring up an old-dead-horse-of-a-post or what).

So, 3 Tap-Cons per side, about 3-4" deep (assuming a 5'-6' side and back of the oven base) sound about right? I don't have a vermiculite/conc layer, just the 4" slab.

Thanks, Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

That should hold 'er down fine Dino.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

How do you avoid the rebar in the concrete when drilling down?
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                              How do you avoid the rebar in the concrete when drilling down?
                              In my particular project, luck was involved

I ran into rebar a couple of times with the drill (or maybe tough rocks). I pulled out the drill and made a new hole.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                              X