Hipped roof design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hipped roof design

We did a hipped, copper roof on our demo oven. I like the design (heck, we have hipped roof lines on our house), and I think it works well with a pizza oven. You could cantilever the roof line, set it inline with the wall, or as we did, set it back a little for a trim material.

You could cover the roof with slate, cedar shake, copper, other metal, etc.

Add this to the list of enclosure options:

Gabled roof/doghouse
    Shed roof backwards
    Shed roof sideways
    Flat roof (with engineer water run off)
    Igloo/beehive
    Paul's living roof
    Large chimney/fireplace roof
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Raised seam roofing

Does anyone here have any experience with raised seam metal roofing? Is it a do-able amateur project on a small (oven) scale?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

raised seam metal roofing

I love metal roofing. I'm thinking about using it to cover my oven, too. I have a few structures in our property that have metal roofs and this will tie the oven into the surrounding structures.

It makes a great sound when it rains.

Raised seam metal roofing requires some special tools to crimp sections together.

Quite a bit different than galvinised metal roofing that simply overlaps.

I think it would look great as a material to cover an oven!!!
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

Raised Seam

Christo, Dmun,

I have a little experience with raised seam metal, and it's definitely do-able for the amateur, especially in a small area, and it's more weatherproof than the simple overlapped stuff. Looks nicer, too, and the colour selection is good. The two tools you absolutely must have are a very new, very sharp pair of shears; my choice would be the yellow-handled jobs; the second may not be in the tin banger's vocab, but I use a pair of duck-billed pliers made by Channel-Lock. I think you can get them at any large hardware joint, really for car bodywork. The advantage here is that they act as a mini-break (brake?), and you can grab about three inches of metal each time you use it, making your bends cleaner and easier. Some rental places actually have metal bending breaks used for aluminum siding.

Don't skimp on fasteners; get the purpose designed ones with the rubber washer. They're self starting. Drive them with a cordless and the proper socket bit; very quick.

Next tool: leather gloves with cuffs. Next tool: bandaids. Next tool: you guessed it, beer; after, though, SVP.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

"Looks nicer too" ??

(M) CanuckJim wrote:

(CJ) .... "and it's more weatherproof than the simple overlapped stuff. Looks nicer, too," .....

(M) Click on:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/show...=3127#post3127

and make that determination for yourself.

Ciao,
          Marcel
          Last edited by Marcel; 05-19-2006, 07:27 AM. Reason: Able to insert URL
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Overlapped

Marcel,

Whoops. I was referring to the "simple overlapped" galvanized metal roofing used on barns around here, not the handsome overlapped stuff you used. Raised seam metal roofing does look better than overlapped galvanized, but not the overlapped material you used. Enough lapping; you get what I mean.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

A Hippie's Roof

(M) I realized later that you meant the basic sheet metal and took no umbrage; I just used your comment as a justification for showing off my new wroof, wroof!

(M) If anyone wants to use this material, remember to install the battens as you go. I measured first and that made installation actually more difficult because the screw fasteners supplied did not leave much wiggle room. You don't need to use battens if you have underelayment on your roof. I used sheetmetal hat channel.

(M) The hex screws come with matching color pre-painted heads. The material was not cheap. The cost was over $200 but I do have a couple of extra panels and 4 end tiles left over that I may be able to use to cover parts of the not yet built outdood kitchen.

(M) Here is the URL for Decra, a New Zealand, England collaborative company:

http://www.decra.com/tile-benefit.htm

(M) In another post CanuckJim encouraged me to post a full frontal view

(M) Since I still have to build the decorative arch and complete the loading platform I'll wait for that image until that part is done.

Ciao,

Marcel
              Last edited by Marcel; 05-20-2006, 06:55 AM. Reason: Quotation marks did not reproduce.

Comment

Some Specs. on Decra sheet metal shingles

(M) Since the Specs. contained "bullets" I am assuming that is what prevented me from including all of them above, so here they are Copy - Pasted as straight text:

Lightweight (1.5 lbs. per sq. ft.)

Won't crack, break, burn, curl, split
                or rot

Foot Traffic Permissible (Walkable)

Low maintenance, Long life

Non-porous, freeze/thaw resistant Non-combustible (Class A Rated Material)

120 mph wind warranty

Transferable 50-year limited warranty

Interlocking panels provide a weather-tight barrier

Impact resistant - Class 4 to UL 2218 by Underwriters Laboratories (highest rating available)

Ciao,

Marcel
                Last edited by Marcel; 05-20-2006, 06:58 AM. Reason: Missing word: barrier

Comment

Working...
                X