Render In Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render In Australia

Hey guys, Im sure this has probably been covered before, but Im ready to render my oven, and was curious as to what other builders in Australia/melbourne have used?
    I have read the basic mix of sand lime and cement, and will probably go that option, but after that, for weather proofing, I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say?
    Much thanks,
    Nic

Re: Render In Australia

Hi Nic.
    I just rendered the concrete cap on mine then painted it with acrylic paint, so far so good, but then again we havent had any real rain as yet..
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Up to the render myself, how did you guys fair??, I have acouple of bags of premixed render from the building suplies, and was going to add some water proof of some sort and color. sound any good?

Thanks Brett...

Comment

I think you are better off not adding a waterproofing agent to the render, because you want to allow moisture inside the oven get out. Don't be in a rush, fire it 10 times then add your waterproofing. Commercial renders don't have too much lime in them and it's lime that gives the render some elasticity, so if you are using a commercial cement render add additional lime.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David S,

Some good advice on the water proofing and lime additive to the render, I'll take that on board for sure.
          I have the drying under control though, as I had finished the dome some time ago and had cover'd it with vermiculite..but came up just abit short of where I was happy with it, So had to wait until my next trip to Melbourne to purchase some more. I have even try'd my 1st pizza's last weekend (great taste) So on to the render this weekend and alls finished.

Regards...

Comment

Wrap the whole thing in cling wrap after you've rendered, then leave it for a week, so the shell has a chance to harden.

Comment

I rendered mine about after a month of cooking, I wanted to make sure the vermic layer was dry,,, I also added color and acrylic fortifier, about 3 months now and good so far

Mark

Comment

I used a mix of 1 part off white cement 4 parts rendering sand 1/2 cup of oxide and used Silasec as a waterproof agent. It seems to have worked fine but I still like to cover it to stop the birds crapping on it. The trick is to try not to attachh the render to the vent arch on the edges. By that I mean you need to let the arch expand without taking the render with it so you need to bring the render to the back of the arch only. That way as the arch expands it will crack along the joint of the render not try to split the render across the dome in order to expand. I hope that is clear enough.

Comment

Hi Rodneyf,

Yeah thanks that was clear enough however I had all ready covered some of the arch with the blanket and vermiculite..so I was commited to rendering part of dome arch join, Hopefully there is enough room for expansion with the blanket & vermic so's not to crack the render?? anyway I'll soon see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	880.6 KB
ID:	276926

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	276927

Comment

I hope it all works out for you. What mix did you end up using for your render?

Comment

I used 3 20kg bags of a Bunnings generic pre mixed render and added color and about 1kg of extra lime per bag as advised..well I decided on the amount of extra lime everything is looking good at the moment, just not liking this week of drying period.

Comment

Rodney F.
                        I used a mix of 1 part off white cement 4 parts rendering sand 1/2 cup of oxide
                        What is Oxide for ? and what does it do ?

Thanks Mark

Comment

Hey Mark,

Oxide is the powdered color you can add to cement or render,Not sure what you guys in the States call it?

Regards.

Brett

Comment

Rodney,
                            If you insulate between the outer brick arch and the hearth/dome, then the arch doesn't get hot and resultant expansion cracks don't occur. Probably a bit late to change it now. Try some flexible acrylic over where the cracking has occured.

Comment

David,
                              My render only comes as far as the back of the front arch not like Marks that comes right over the front arch. I don't have any cracking problems so far and I have had some decent fires going.

Comment

Working...
                              X