Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardibacker Chimney Flashing Question

Hi,

This is probably a stupid quesion, but, I'll ask it anyway. My chimney is enclosed in a metal stud hardibacker chase. It goes up through the roof decking which is complete. No material has been used to cover the decking. I'll probably go with a metal roof. By the way, I have insuslation and concrete board between the 3/4" decking.

My question is: Does the flashing go on before or after the stucco or surface bonding cement? I'll try to attach a picture or two?

Re: Hardibacker Chimney Flashing Question

Originally posted by RCANCILLA View Post
    Hi,

My question is: Does the flashing go on before or after the stucco or surface bonding cement? I'll try to attach a picture or two?
    I don't think you will have much luck getting any type of water tight seal if you flash before the stucco...the stucco will not stick very well to the flashing...I would recommend using a polyurethane sealer such as Vulkem after you stucco
    All the best!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get the vulkem? I can't seem to find it at lowes or Home Depot locally.

Comment

We got the Vulkem through our local glass guy...we are quite friendly with him...that is where I would suggest to start...in any event if they don't sell you some they should certainly know where you could buy it...it is really great stuff...
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
        X