Limestone countertop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone countertop?

Anyone have thoughts on using a slab of limestone as the countertop in front of my oven opening, resting on the cantilever (as visible in photo)? I know I would need to seal it, but any other concerns/problems with limestone? Is it too porous?

A company down the street can get me a 2.25" or 4" slab, custom cut to match the rounded shape of the cantilever. Actually, I would probably make it a bit larger so it overhangs in front. Reasonable price too. I've got a bunch of rebar in the 4-inch-thick cantilever, but would a 4" stone slab be too heavy for it? I'm sure the 2.25" would be fine.

The wife thinks we'll want to stain the limestone a different color, but then we might as well go with polished concrete! The slab would be less work for me, though. Then we'd probably cover the front of the concrete cantilever with tiles.

Thanks,
    Daren
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Limestone countertop?

I used a slate step from the brickyard for my landing shelf. It is porous, and i've never sealed it. It does get somewhat spotted, particularly when i drag a grill of chicken parts out to turn them and they drip grease on the slate. Frankly, I don't think sealing it would help: it gets very hot in front of the oven and the stone will still be porous.

This said, it looks good. Even the worst spotting fades, and takes on a mottled appearance. It doesn't look much different than any other stone or masonry surface around the yard.

If you want to finish your oven to high outdoor kitchen standards, you would probably be happier with a less porous stone like granite, but I'm perfectly happy with mine, the way it is.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dbhanson,
      You oven looks great!

I have worked with stone a fair amount, and outdoors I tend to agree with 'dmun', sealing is contrary to a classic building material like stone. Concrete or granite... maybe even marble tile... might be less maintenance.

I haven't finished my work surfaces, but I have some large limestone slabs that I have thought of using for 'countertop' type areas, and I always decide it would not go with the oils and stains of food.

Just my thoughts.

Did I mention your oven looks amazing?
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Thanks Lars! It's a work in progress. I had no idea the enclosure would cause me more grief than the dome.
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
        X