Brick laying..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick laying..

This might possibly be a stupid question but if I stick some bricks to the front of my stand, starting just below the hearth, will they stick well? Or do I have to start at the bottom so those up higher have something to rest on? My main issue is my firebrick oven opening goes right to the edge of my hearth so if I want to put a standard brick arch in front of that I need to do it off a lip of brick stuck on the face..

As you can tell I am not a brick person.. The oven is my first brick project and that's almost done and now I'd like to get it weather proof before fall.. I'm doubting I'll have time this summer to fully do the enclosure..
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Brick laying..

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
    This might possibly be a stupid question but if I stick some bricks to the front of my stand, starting just below the hearth, will they stick well? Or do I have to start at the bottom so those up higher have something to rest on? My main issue is my firebrick oven opening goes right to the edge of my hearth so if I want to put a standard brick arch in front of that I need to do it off a lip of brick stuck on the face..

As you can tell I am not a brick person.. The oven is my first brick project and that's almost done and now I'd like to get it weather proof before fall.. I'm doubting I'll have time this summer to fully do the enclosure..
    Post a picture if you can...the bricks really should have something to rest on to be stable...maybe if we see a pic some of the great thinkers here on the forum could come up with a solution for you
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Shay, I'm not one of those "great thinkers" that Dutch mentioned, but I think you'd want to use some type of support under the brick. Maybe just some small angle brackets screwed into the stand (that would hide under the brick), or some screws that you leave sticking out from the block stand a bit. If it were me, I'd worry about the whole thing crashing down if there's no support under it. At a minimum, use a damn good mortar with an adhesive additive and support the bricks while the mortar dries.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

yeah, that's what I worry about too.. don't want it falling on my head when I'm getting wood out.. There has to be a common thing though that mason's use.. how do they run brick along the top of a window sill? They must be anchored some way..
        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

How about brick veneer?
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

I attached a couple shots. What I was hoping to do is put a bullnose type brick in front of the oven floor which is flush with the front of the stand and hearth. I wanted to cover up the face of the firebrick and the insulation board.

I'm starting to think my best bet is to do a brick arch in the lower part and use that to help support bricks going up. I was hoping to put that off till later but doesn't seem like I can.

Anyone know how well the FB Board handles outdoor conditions? Should I slap some mortar over the edges to protect it?
            Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Shay,
              If you had known you wanted bricks in there, you could have put clips in the mortar of the blocks. They are about 1" by 5" wavy thin metal strips with a couple holes in them for nailing to wood face ( if necessary). When you put up your face brick, you put them in the mortar of the brick courses and it locks the brick facade to the 8" block.

I you mortared your lower arch to the stand on either side, then maybe ( is it possible to) remove some of the FB board in front, and mortar in some of those clips to secure the arch. Maybe build the arch a little lower, or, what I am doing is putting a landing area in front of my oven ( 8" bricks on the long thin side down all across) and this will be about one course above an arch.

LOTS of ways to do it. You have like 12" above your opening. Brick up an arch across it, then still room for three courses of brick above it. An elephant could sit on that without wrecking it.

L.

Lars.
              Last edited by Lars; 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM.
              This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

There has to be a common thing though that mason's use.. how do they run brick along the top of a window sill? They must be anchored some way..
                They use a big-ass angle iron:

This from an interesting page about flashing, from the copper industry.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

ok what I might do is bolt/screw some angle iron to my hearth so I can create a brick ledge. I can then cover the angle iron up from underneath with whatever I decide to put on the stand.. something like stone or brick veneer.. that might work.

Thanks guys, you've provided some useful food for thought.
                  Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Are you guys sticking your bricks directly to your stand or did you use some sort of brick tie? Being as this is an oven stand and not a house wall I don't see why I couldn't just stick them to the stand but thought I'd ask..
                    Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                    X