the weather, ARGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the weather, ARGH!

Wow. That is sooo cool! You cast a concrete tub?!?!?!?

<feels suddenly inadequate>

I made a ceramic dinosaur in fourth grade...

I'm an expert in alternative cat litter.

I can use a reel mower (and I like it!).

<Yup, still feeling inadequate....>

I go build dog houses now....
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

splat,,, you have a picture of the tub ??

Comment

Making a Concrete Ofuro - a set on Flickr
        and the countertops set, if anyone is interested in that:
        Making Concrete Countertops - a set on Flickr

You're not inadequate. I'm just a total concrete geek.

Comment

Well, I feel better now.

If you ever need a legal geek (I read cases for fun), I'm your gal. I'm still working up to concrete, though.

I'll look at the pretty pics tomorrow - dial up and updates aren't friends of simultaneous downloads with pics.

Later!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

SPLAT !!!! too cool.... when I do mine I want to incorporate broken glass, I will definitley be pouring in place and thought I could tamp it in before the final float.. Any thoughts ??
            was that BOY in the pics,, he really does do the heavy work,, Good for you, maybe you better keep him

Comment

Re: pouring in place with glass added: I cast about a gajillion pavers to use as landscape edging at our old house and poked those glass globs into the tops of them, so sort of similar. It worked OK, but that was not something that depended on a nice hard trowel finish to look cool and the glass bits would and did pop out here and there over the years.
              Strike everything I said about getting close to your final finish with just a mag because with stuff put in there after the fact you're going to give that up.
              I think it will be dicey but if you don't want a perfection-style result, it might not matter. Your timing will have to be 100% spot on with the mud as far as when to add the glass. I would err on the side of too wet and then plan to grind down to expose it, otherwise you WILL lose bits and/or have high spots that will make it impossible to trowel and burn really smooth. If you haven't done a lot of flatwork it'll be even trickier. You'll want to wait until the slab is fairly well cured before starting in working it with the diamond pads. Like at least a week+ depending on what it looks/acts like.
              I dunno. I think I would strongly consider building a mold instead because you'e just sort of erased all the pros to pouring in place, IMO. At the very least, pour a test slab and see how it goes.

That tall skinny guy is SplatBoy, yes. The other guy is a friend of ours who was dumb enough to say yes to helping. That pour was an insane panic. I think our friend enjoyed it almost as much as the day we got him to help set the ~350lb. panels for our glass catwalk floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                SPLAT !!!! too cool.... when I do mine I want to incorporate broken glass, I will definitley be pouring in place and thought I could tamp it in before the final float.. Any thoughts ??
                was that BOY in the pics,, he really does do the heavy work,, Good for you, maybe you better keep him
                Embedding Glass in Outdoor Concrete Countertops - The Concrete Network

It looks very similar to terrazzo - which makes sense.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post

That tall skinny guy is SplatBoy, yes. The other guy is a friend of ours who was dumb enough to say yes to helping. That pour was an insane panic. I think our friend enjoyed it almost as much as the day we got him to help set the ~350lb. panels for our glass catwalk floor.
                  *emphasis mine

You either have great friends or great blackmail material...
                  Last edited by Archena; 10-15-2009, 08:51 AM. Reason: Weird formatting - it italized everything

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                    You either have great friends or great blackmail material...
                    mmmm....the persuasive powers of good cooking and free beer.

Comment

hey splat,,
                      Im guessing your the photographer as well since we never see you in any of the pictures,,, I wish I had half your energy level.. THanks for the help on the concrete polishing. I will order my stuff in march as I think im done pouring concrete for this year..
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Hey Splat,

How did you make out ??? Did you get any further ??

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

I totally empathise. It has rained a totral of 14 days here in October. I am almost finished. I have a scratch coat of sand topping concrete on the wire lathe and am half-way done with a second coat. (It started raining yesterday!) I would have finished today but, you guessed it, it's raining! I figure my next problem will be finding dry wood.

Comment

I did not get as far, construction-wise, as I was hoping to before the party, and I have not made any progress since, unfortunately. Still need to get out there and hit the concrete counter with the diamond pads and then some trim carpentry and paint.
                            I was mobbed and hardly got a chance to step away from the oven the whole day so I was at the mercy of whoever decided to pick up my camera. As a result, not much in the way of eye candy, but you get the idea:

one of the caveats of being the busy pizzaiolo is not being able to do anything else besides keep the pizzas rolling. I'm usually a much more attentive hostess when it comes to keeping the buffet table filled and pretty. note to self: train an assistant oven-boss asap.

I neglected to give credit to Boy earlier in the thread for being the best ax man ever. He split all that wood by hand. He's still working on it, actually. Gotta be going on two full cords by now (the stacks you see are double deep, plus a full oven base plus about another half a cord. Crazy.

This was leftovers for lunch the next day, right after some scrambled egg and leftover pizza topping calzones for breakfast. Another round of the awesome homemade crackers from the recipe here. (I definitely like them better with half whole wheat flour/ half white.) And the artichoke dip that no one can get enough of. Those two things alone totally justify the WFO build.

Comment

I neglected to give credit to Boy earlier in the thread for being the best ax man ever. He split all that wood by hand. He's still working on
                              splat, you would have to be a man to understand that... or maybe you wouldnt..... there is nothing in the world like picking up a nice axe and plummeting it through a slab of wood in one fell swoop !!! very satisfying... and from the looks of your buffet table I would say your party was obviously a success...

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

For men, sharp things are almost as seductive as burning things. Only things with big motors are more important inanimate things to the male of our species...

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X