The tentative plan - tunnel oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tentative plan - tunnel oven

The space I want to build in is oblong, so I want to build a rectangular oven. As envisioned, it will be, interior floor dimensions, 36" deep by 18" wide, with a barrel vaulted ceiling. I also plan on putting the chimney at the rear, not the front. The door will be 12" wide by 9" tall, with a 12" deep entry.

What are the issues as planned?

Re: The tentative plan - tunnel oven

The issues? Well, too many to number. But start by downloading the plans and reading them- that will answer some of the questions. The worst thing on your list, IMHO, is the chimney at the back. This will NOT get you the kind of heat you need- it will all go whoosh out the chimney and not circulate and build. Somewhere on the web I found a diagram about this- it clearly showed the thermal forces at work in both cases.

Once you read the plans, even if you don't want to build a pompeii, you will at least have a better working knowledge of how you may want your oven to work or not work.

And insulate like a fiend. Under and over.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

The oven you're describing is a bread oven. They require a good deal more wood to bring up to temp but they do hold it well for bread baking. Pizza is another story as it requires higher temps and bread ovens don't hold those as well.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Let's back up a step. What do you want to do with this mailbox shaped oven?
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/p...-oven-493.html

The Brick Bake Oven Page

A couple links that might help. In the second bread ovens are referred to as bake ovens.

By the way, James, the link about FB in that second one says you last updated them on 8/12/08 - 11,000 plan downloads then.

Check out the portable French oven! Not a bread oven, but it is cute.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Not so much a mailbox shape as a lozenge shape. I am familiar with the dynamics of arches and thermal mass, neither of which will differ substantially from a domed oven of the same size. The circulation of the rear chimney is what I am really questioning, although it will vent at the same level as a front chimney. I have studied the plans for the Pompeii oven (many thanks for providing them), and many other designs. As stated in another thread, I am primarily a fireplace and masonry guy.

What I want is a quick firing, small footprint oven that can cook a couple of pies and a loaf of bread and be built in a couple of weekends.

Comment

What I want is a quick firing, small footprint oven that can cook a couple of pies and a loaf of bread and be built in a couple of weekends.
              sounds like you just described a pompei oven .... If you have masonry experience you can definitely do it... (in a few weekends)

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X