Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching Metal Studs over Vermiculite/Portland Layer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Metal Studs over Vermiculite/Portland Layer???

I haven't seen any posts addressing this, and I'm curious how everybody has attached their metal stud base to the support structure. The vermiculite/portland base doesn't appear to be robust enough to hold a Tapcon.
    How has everybody else handled this?

Steve

Re: Attaching Metal Studs over Vermiculite/Portland Layer???

If possible, the steel studs should come off the structural slab.

Can you cut out rectangular holes in your vemiculete layer down to the slab ?

Comment

Hi Neil

I could. I plan on laying the horizontal track down that the studs attach to. So my thoughts were, do I lay it down directly on the vermiculite layer, or do I cut back the vermiculite layer to be able to lay it directly on the concrete. I have a few days before I have to make the decision, so I'll spend some more time going through the various build threads and see if I can find any reference to what others have done.

Steve

Comment

A Tapcon long enough to pass through the soft material into the hard material with a heavy washer behind the Taocon head in order to keep the Tapcon from pulling through the steel stud, might give you the support your looking for. Shoot one in and see if it pulls up tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
          If possible, the steel studs should come off the structural slab.

Can you cut out rectangular holes in your vemiculete layer down to the slab ?
          That's what I did, anyway. I found that the enclosure I was building needed track in an area I hadn't initially planned on, so I followed someone's (I can't remember who) advice and chiseled the perlicrete away. It came out fairly easily in large chunks when cut with a broad chisel.
          -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Finally! something you can do with a brick set!
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David,, I loved my brick set, I bought the one from harbor freight, Must have cut over half my dome with it,, Most was one good shot with a mason hammer, of course not all the cuts were pretty, But being on the outside of the dome it didnt matter... I used a HF chop saw for the other cuts and an angle grinder as well,,

I wish I had the money at that time for a nice big tile saw,,, but it all worked out well
              Cheers
              Mark

Comment

I'll probably try Stormy's long tapcon suggestion and assess the stability. I suspect that I'll end up going with Cynon's suggestions of pulling out the vermiculite around the perimeter of the base.
                Thanks

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X