X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting the Chimney-HELP!!!!!

Ok men,

I call on you now because I am at the point where I will be doing the
    chimney vent and stack itseld. I planned on having a vent hood fabricated locally and after showing the design and stainless steel because of rusting I got an estimate of $2200.00. I was floored. I redid the plans and dropped the gauge of the steel. I am waiting for the new estimate to come back but I don't think it will be much better.

Does anyone have any plans that would work better for a Gable Styled oven that will have the vent and chimney enlosed. I am open to anything that would work and would be cheaper than I am looking at now

Men... ideas.... anyone... I am about to come onto the home stretch to finish this and then we can do some cooking!

Hope to hear from you all...
    CIAO Tutti!!!

Flu tile - about $5 for a 1 foot section - $20 - $30 for the liner - I found mine at the local mutual materials. It's much heavier than a metal chimney so it requires substantial structural support but it's cheap. I'm at the same point myself - building up the vent area. I built a stone arch initially to support the chimney and decided I need an angle iron to reinforce my structure. I'm still working out the surround (probably half fire bricks with a half inch air gap) for the flu tile chimney but I'm pretty close to going vertical. Obviously you'll need to build up your own vent but you can search this forum for examples. Paulages made a masonry arch that is quite sturdy and would likely support a masonry chimney - he transitioned to a metal chimney however, but if you search for his oven he has great pictures of arch construction. I wish I had seen those before I crafted my more delicate arch. Aravelos53anos also has posted pictures of a masonry arch transitioned to masonry chimney.

Hopefully 2 weeks away from my first pizza!

Comment

Build it yourself

You can build the vent out of refractory firebrick. Depending how comfortable you are with cutting bricks, you could duplicate your vent with splits (half thickness fire bricks) or you could just lay up decreasing size courses of ordinary firebricks to transition between your entry and flue. Just build a wood support in your oven entry to support the construction. Your wood form could be topped with bent quarter inch plywood for an elegant arch, but that's by no means necessary. For the span, the strength of a real refractory mortar like quick-set 50 would work better than the portland-fireclay-sand mixture.

You can also build inner and outer forms from plywood and cast a vent from refractory concrete.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am really happy with my cast refractory vent.

I built the forms from plywood, filled it with Pryor Giggey Insulcast, I think I would use a non-insulating castable if I could redo it, I was (and I am) slightly worried about strength.

Then I ordered a duratech Anchor plate and 2' chimney, The chimney pipe arrived yesterday and it is a serious piece of engineering, well constructed and well insulated.

I have pointed out in previous posts that the vent is drawing very well.

See pictures and commentary in this thread. Vent discussion starts at post #42.

Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Back to one.

Hey actor. Hows about you act like you know how to build it. Your motivation is to build a chimney. And... Action!

Comment

metal vent

Here's a vendor who is selling custom forge hoods on eBay.

Needless to say, this is really close to what we need for venting brick ovens.

No connection etc.
            Last edited by dmun; 08-18-2006, 05:26 PM.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
            X