Yikes! Copper roofs are EXPENSIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes! Copper roofs are EXPENSIVE

I suspected copper would be expensive, but WHEW! For my tiny oven, it would cost $600 (incl. shipping) for the copper tiles and supplies to cover my oven.

Anyone have a good source on cheap copper roof tiles?
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Lincoln

Excluding the one or two years in the 40 when they were made from steel, until sometime in the early '80's pennies were essentially made from 100% copper (not pure but close enough). After that they started to make them with a zinc alloy core and plated copper, very cheesy. Got a stash of coins? Now I am not condoning this behaviour but....as they say a real penny is really worth about 3 cents.

At a job site in Oakland for a federal building some thieves took apart a section of the air-conditioning units (big monsters) for the copper, the guy was good as he could have electrocuted himself as they were live.

One of the commercial aircraft making companies in the US has been having a hard time finding supplies of Titanium. They recently were able to broker some deal, with congressional approval, with a Russian conglomerate for the metal

Finally I recently temporarily misplaced my wedding band, the metal exchange has skyrocketed in recent years, it cost over 2k to replace it, 5 years ago I paid 1/3 that. I don?t a wedding ring any more.

There-in lies your problem. Raw metals have gone up in the past 5 years. Does it have to be copper? yes I know it has a great look especially after it has obtained a patina. There are companies that make metal roofs that may be a tad cheaper. Most come with a 50 years bonded colour.

Comment

Not really sure if it would be any cheaper, but you might check with a copper gutter installer and fabricator in your area. I know one here that makes custom roofs as well as gutters...just an idea.

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

sticker shock - me too

I thought copper would be a great roofing material for my oven as well. Initially I thought copper shingles would be a great way to class up my small oven, then I saw the cost. I considered just running overlapping rolls of copper flashing, but even a roll of heavy gauge copper flashing is upwards of $100 at my local hardware store, and it would take at least 4 to cover my roof. It is the metal cost. I ended up buying a painted galvanized metal roof system for $100 to cover my roughly 6' by 8' roof.

Comment

Update, please.

Maver...Do you have a picture? I'm getting to that point and really want a copper roof. I'd like to see how yours came out.
          Fio... What did you decide on?

Comment

galvanized roof

this is from my thread 'building a neapolitan' in the introductions section:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...&stc=1&thumb=1

It cost about $120 including all the trim pieces and screws. They do make galvanized that is supposed to be a copper look but it really does not do justice to copper (at least the samples I saw). I ordered my galvanized roofing from a local hardware store who sends the order to a local fabricator.

Comment

I'm still looking. . .

Originally posted by PizzaPolice
              Maver...Do you have a picture? I'm getting to that point and really want a copper roof. I'd like to see how yours came out.
              Fio... What did you decide on?

I found a place up in Maryland that does restoration/preservation work, and one of the roofers said he could set me up in copper easily and cheaply. But I've had a dickens of a time getting him to follow through. He hasn't returned my calls.

So, I'm dead in the water right now. I'm getting concerned, because All I've got is some concrete board (Durock) panels for a roof, and we're headed for the cold rainy season.
              There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

material cost

Even if you have someone who will give you a good deal on the fabrication, the material is expensive. My roof is about 8' by 6' and I just couldn't find a way to make it cheap enough for me, even with just a thin copper overlay - maybe it will be my second roof in 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                X