Concrete countertops how to:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete countertops how to:

OK folks, I have found a very cool resource for how to do your own countertops! They even have an instructional video you can watchonline or purchase separately. http://www.graniterock.com/concretetheater.html He gives you a lot of tips and tricks that will save you a lot of headaches and heartache. I wish I had found it before I did mine.
    Check it out.
    Chad
    Last edited by janprimus; 09-12-2006, 09:34 AM. Reason: adding a couple things
    Renaissance Man
    Wholly Man

counters

Well I have stripped the forme off my counters, and used a diamond blade on my grinder to remove the edge left by the forms. http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/c...0polishing.jpg I have begun the polishing process as outlined by Mr Cheng in the video above. This is too cool! I had to return my recently <1 day> purchased Makita 4 inch angle grinder and get the much more expensive variable speed Makita grinder. I went to my local Hardware Sales which is an old time hardware store with tons of really interesting stuff and an awesome selection. They had both the grinder I wanted and the polishing pads! If you are contemplating doing something like this I would probably recommend going to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Diamon...2?ie=UTF8&s=hi and getting the set of pads and the velcro head for only 102 bucks. Better deal I know, but I really wanted to get going on this. I paid 19 bucks a piece for the pads. I certainly dont regret or resent it, it is just that preoper planning prevents... thing. Heck, I may still buy a set. They are very cool to work with. You can polish granite, marble, jade or concrete.
    Anyway, have fun!
    Chad
    Renaissance Man
    Wholly Man

Comment

wet sanding

Chad, I see they recommend wet sanding for the discs on Amazon - it looks like you have a pretty wet surface there. I've read about grinders that are purpose built for this that have a water inlet port. Are you just spraying the concrete periodically with a hose? It's looking good. I'm planning on doing my outside countertop in concrete and if it goes well then redo my kitchen countertops.

Comment

polishing cement

I am just using a 4 inch Makita angle grinder. If you watch the Cheng video he shows using a small yougurt tub with a few holes drilled along the bottom edge, I used a 1 gallon water bottle for mine and it works great. You just move it whereever you are working. They do make special polishers with a water port, but it is over 350 bucks for an electric one. I did just find an air grinder with water for only 140 bucks on Amazon. That looks pretty cool. They are wet, I am also trying to retard the curing as much as possible so it wont crack. I have been keeping them under plastic since pouring to let them dry slowly.
        Renaissance Man
        Wholly Man

Comment

Consider Harbor Freight for diamond polishing pads.

(M) Consider Harbor Freight for diamond polishing pads:

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...Pad+&Submit=Go

4'' FLEXIBLE DIAMOND POLISHING PADS, 3 PC. MEDIUM $9.99

1VGA
          4'' DIAMOND POLISHING PADS, 3 PC. COARSE $9.99

Ciao,

Marcel
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

polishing

Those at Harbor Freight don't look quite as durable but they may do the job for single use. I noted they also list a variable speed polisher, 2 models, one is $29 and the other is $49. A 4 or 4 1/2" backing plate replacement would be needed for most of the diamond polishing pads that are out there (the harbor freight backing pad is 7") but those cost under $25. Sounds like my next tool purchase. Might spring for the pads at amazon though.

Comment

angle polisher

IMHO, this is one of the cases where I would get a little better grade of tool. I have some orange tools, some yellow, and a few grey and black.....

Polishing will take quite some time and you'll want to spend more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time. I think a better grade with ball bearings, etc will hold up to the punishment of grinding/polishing 2 or more countertops.

One of my first woodworking projects (more than 20 years ago)- burned out several "cheap" sanders before I bought a good one - it was more efficient and I still use it today.

If you wanted to polish your car with little or no downward pressure I bet the orange tool would work fine.

I'm thinking of abandoning my granite coutertops in favor of the concrete. -Probably just another way to rationalize buying another tool.....

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

tools

Yes, I always try to purchase higher quality tools. I was a craftsman for years and I still have a lot of the hand tools I bought 20 years ago because i bought good stuff.
                Chad
                Renaissance Man
                Wholly Man

Comment

polishing

I put my counters into position this weekend and started polishing them. Wow, the polishing pads work wonderfully. I just about wore out my 50 grit pad, but I removed a lot of material from the edges trying to get it nice. They are looking really nice. I apologize, but I neglected to get pics yesterday, I had dinner in the oven and had to bust a move and get that taken care of. Have to feed my sons you know. Anyway, I used the 50 grit and got everything shaped the way I want and then worked on it quite a bit with the 120 grit and it already feels silky smooth. There are voids along the edges where I didnt vibrate them enough, but I dont think I will patch them. It adds character right? I'll see about getting pics this afternoon when I get home.
                  Stay Tuned.
                  Chad
                  Renaissance Man
                  Wholly Man

Comment

silky concrete

I bet it looks great. Is the aggregate showing through? Do you intend to get get it to a shine? Look forward to pics.

Comment

Working...
                    X