Slate Oven Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slate Oven Floor

I am in the process of building an oven based on Dan Wing and Alan Scott's book. I was wondering if anyone had made an oven with a slate floor. I know that slate is used for pizza stones in electric ovens, but hadn't heard if anyone tried using it for oven floors. The 3 pieces I have are 1 meter x 1.25 meter x 3.5 cm pool table slate.

Any suggestions?
    Has anyone tried this, or should I break down and buy firebrick, use one piece of the slate for my slab and the other two for an oven roof worthy of the overkill of the year award?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Re: Slate Oven Floor

I would stick with the fire brick. Especially with a cooler climate in the winter. When you heat your oven, you will find that the fire brick actually gets red hot. I had a fire going one dark winter night and when I scraped the coals off to the side, the floor was glowing red. Stay with the fire brick and avoid the larger slate cracking...

Comment

Yeah, I think the only proven natural stone for high heat applications is soapstone. Slate is going to sloth off sheets of nasty sharp shards in direct flame conditions. Save the slate for the countertops of your work surface.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I tried a piece in my grill at 600 deg. F and it flaked all over!

Comment

Working...
        X