Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources in West Australia

G'day everyone,

trying to source firebricks and refractory cement so I can build my WFO but it would appear that the suppliers in the southern end of Western Australia have a bit of an added price on their supplies( 1 refractory brick = $7if you buy in bulk, refractory mortar = $70/bag)

Can anyone help with what I should be paying and where I can get them from?

I don't mind second hand bricks and travel within reason ( +-500 KM)

Thanks in advance.

Anthony: confused:

Re: Resources in West Australia

Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum.
    Just between you and me, I wouldn't use the high temp refractory mortar but use the 'Poor mans mortar0 as I and many others have. This is 1pt fireclay, 1pt quicklime, 1pt portland cement and 3 pts brickie sand. Much cheaper and easy to work.
    If you can't get firebricks either, the solid fired clay pavers are another option as Russell Jeavons has stated in his book, "Your brick oven, building it and baking in it". He has a pizza restaurant here in the southern wine district of Adelaide, has 2 ovens built with common red house bricks and paver hearths and also built numerous other ovens using the same materials.
    You might also check with James (the owner of this forum) who has an agent here in Australia for a Pompeii kit, but have not heard anything nor their location.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

There is so much info on this forum it takes ages to get through it so I appreciate you replying so promptly.

I am open to any suggestions regarding what to use as I am still completing my foundation and won't get to the oven stage for a few weeks.

I have a ready supply of clay on my property and this is also an option. The poor man version of refractory cement sounds interesting too.

I want to make a pretty big oven as I have sheep and pigs which I would like to try cooking so the cost is really important.

regards,

Anthony

Comment

Anthony;
        when you say you want to make a big oven to cook sheep and pigs how big are you thinking about as the bigger you make the over the longer it takes to heat up and the more wood you will need. You mention you live on a property so I expect you are like me and the supply of wood is not an issue, however, if you are like me you will not want to have to cut any more wood than you have to.
        $7 for a fire brick is ridiculous! They should be half that price new. There is a refactory warehouse in Sydney and they sell everything for a 32inch WFO excluding the base, door and render for around $1300.

Comment

Muscats,

I agree that $7/brick is ridiculous.

I have a pretty much endless supply of jarrah so that is not a problem.I have a foundation around 2 metres square and want to put as big an oven on it as possible. I guess that will depend on what I use to to make the dome,clay or brick with the resulting layers being thicker with clay I would think therefore reducing the internal dimensions possible.

I hope there is a supplier of what I need in Perth at more reasonable prices as my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Simbiotic View Post
            Muscats,

I agree that $7/brick is ridiculous.

I have a pretty much endless supply of jarrah so that is not a problem.I have a foundation around 2 metres square and want to put as big an oven on it as possible. I guess that will depend on what I use to to make the dome,clay or brick with the resulting layers being thicker with clay I would think therefore reducing the internal dimensions possible.

I hope there is a supplier of what I need in Perth at more reasonable prices as my area.
            Give Sila Australia a call on 0894553133, they are W.A's larger refractory suppliers. Ask for Tony Coates.

Comment

thanks for that,will do

Comment

Tony
                Call Sila in Canning Vale, they will email you their pricelists.
                You can also try the guys at Gourmet Pazza Ovens for a local supplier, I have dealt with them for my oven and they were very helpfull. Their website is Wood fired ovens Gourmet pizza ovens WA They might even be able to cast a large kit dome for you.

Happy building, Regards Fritz

Comment

Looks great Fritz.

Going to Perth this coming weekend and will no doubt be coming home with an emptier wallet.Still haven't made up my mind yet but the custom refractory dome could even be the go.

regards,

Anthony

Comment

There is also another mob who cast refactory cement domes. I got my kit through them and they are a really good small family company. There web site is Woodfired Pizza Ovens | Alfresco - Home Not sure if they do custom shells, but I know they can give you alot of advise on what to do. Good luck with it all

Scott

Comment

For any newbies looking for materials in West Australia, I sourced my bricks from the Potter's Market in 54 Stockdale Road, O'Connor. Julie is very helpful there. Also provides bags of vermiculite and high heat mortar etc.
                      JT
                      Willetton, Perth
                      Western Australia
                      My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Has anyone else used SilaSet 40D? I've used it on my inner arch and first course, and find it unusual to work with. The product sheet says: "A super duty, dry powder mortar, providing very good bond strength and workability. This material is suitable for use with fireclay and mid alumina refractories to 60% and insulation bricks to grade K26".

When you mix it with 25-35% water, it quickly goes "plastic" but make sure your bricks are damp from being soaked in water for a few minutes - because it drys out quickly. Appears to shrink a little when drying too.

Like normal mortar, should this be kept damp while curing? It seems to remain soft for a long time.
                        Is it waterproof and suitable for building outdoor wood fired ovens?

If anyone has used it and has experience, I'd like to hear from you.

Regards

John
                        Willetton, Perth Australia
                        JT
                        Willetton, Perth
                        Western Australia
                        My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Ive never used it but Ive used other products made by Sila and they all seem to fit the bill, ask them if you are unsure.

Refractories - Sila Australia
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

40D is a very good mortar, you should have no dramas with it.
                            Contact tony @ sila on 0413184540 if your not sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X