Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get solid red brick? and street pavers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get solid red brick? and street pavers.

I have been looking and calling all over, and finding solid red brick is nearly impossible in Northern Michigan. All anyone sells is hole filled building brick and colored concrete pavers. Any ideas?

I have found someone selling antique street pavers (the big kind used in city streets. Anyone know how well these were fired historically? Anyone try them in an oven arch?

Re: Where can I get solid red brick? and street pavers.

Joe,
    Have you tried Craigslist? There's a guy in Belmont selling 300 firebrick splits for $100. I don't know how far you are from Belmont but those bricks look ideal for building a Guastavino arch low-dome pizza oven.

fire place/fire pit bricks

Comment

Belding Bricks in GR has the solid red bricks. For the majority of my build, I used a Robinson Portsmouth from Belding. It is a cored brick. Light weight and easy to cut. I used a solid brick for a part of the chimney where the the holes would have been visible.

Comment

Joe,
        I bought "red street pavers" here in Los Angeles for my oven arch. They were about 4-5" square and I cut them in half for my decorative arch. They also come in 2" squares.

The brick yard called them "Italian Cobblestone" and they are burgundy-pinky-red with speckles/sparkles in them, kinda like granite. If you are looking for something similar, maybe 'Italian Cobblestone' is a common term (I really don't know) and that might get you somewhere with stone/brick purveyors.
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Fired clay pavers are a pretty standard brick item. I can't speak to buying them, because I got a big pile on ebay. One of the bright minds of landscaping dug up a perfectly good brick walk to put in those butt-ugly concrete pavers. Go figure.

All the brick yards around here have them in stock.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good Afternoon Joe... how many do you think you need? I bought 6 pallets of them when Lincoln Brick went out of business... If you only need 10-20 of them for your arch, I'll give them to you. They cut pretty well with a wet saw, but you have to go slow. I have a warehouse in Mt. Pleasant, and I'll get them over there if you want them...

Comment

Working...
            X