My thoughts on local materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on local materials

I used craigslist to find the foundation block. just searched free and building materials sections found cheap or free block listed in both places. i ended up with 10 inch block instead of 8 but they were free. after getting the foundation build i didnt like the look of bare concrete block. looking into brick and stone veneers that locally averaged 8 - 10 dollars per square foot through home improvement centers i realized that the property around where im building the oven had a lot of shale and loose rock laying around that fell off of a hillside. using cement I attached the loose shale to the foundation. i'll post pics on here in the near future. hope this helps someone.

Re: My thoughts on local materials

Originally posted by ChurchBuilder1 View Post
    I used craigslist to find the foundation block. just searched free and building materials sections found cheap or free block listed in both places. i ended up with 10 inch block instead of 8 but they were free. after getting the foundation build i didnt like the look of bare concrete block. looking into brick and stone veneers that locally averaged 8 - 10 dollars per square foot through home improvement centers i realized that the property around where im building the oven had a lot of shale and loose rock laying around that fell off of a hillside. using cement I attached the loose shale to the foundation. i'll post pics on here in the near future. hope this helps someone.
    When the materials are roughly equivalent to the pompeii WFO design specs, I'm all for free and local materials
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
    X