How Insulation is Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Insulation is Made

The Science Channel is currently running a (How It's Made) segment on how Stone Wool Insulation is manufactured from basalt. The short video here only shows the first portion of the piece, but it's pretty interesting.

How It's Made: Stone Wool Insulation : Video : Science Channel

You can find the next time the episode airs by checking the How It's Made Schedule on their website.

Re: How Insulation is Made

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    The Science Channel is currently running a (How It's Made) segment on how Stone Wool Insulation is manufactured from basalt. The short video here only shows the first portion of the piece, but it's pretty interesting.

How It's Made: Stone Wool Insulation : Video : Science Channel

You can find the next time the episode airs by checking the How It's Made Schedule on their website.
    That was interesting. There have been a couple threads recently about this stone wool and the various names it goes under. I knew it as rock wool and saw it as loose insulation placed in cavities to insulate houses. I'd like to use it in place of vermiculite (placed outside the ceramic layer over the dome) if I could find a local source.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

At one time "rock wool" was one of the terms used for asbestos insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
        At one time "rock wool" was one of the terms used for asbestos insulation.
        I'm SO glad you could mention that

It seems like names for insulators have been regional and unstandardized.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
        X