X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenman
    replied
    Re: Oven number two..

That's life in the fast lane. Brickie provided a lot of good advice. He is missed by many of us.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Brickie is MIA, unfortunately.
    NO WAY! That sucks! He seems to have alot of knowledge to share... Wow

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Brickie is MIA, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    And the drive to Johhny The Oven mans shop to buy more fire bricks that I should have bought when I was there last week..

The oven itself is done, I now have to do the enclosure and the chimney.
    We have a long weekend coming up so hopefully.....fingers crossed. it might get finished enough to use.

I laid the oven roof bricks flat to get more coverage and am going to use up a load of castable refractory concrete I have to bulk it up for mass.

As you can see the roof is bonded like it should be, even the 20mm pieces down the centre.
    If I had of flattened down the profile I could have eliminated the 20mm piece but I needed the height to get to the Golden Ratio of 63%.
    Hi brickie in oz, I am a big FAN! I have a question, how did you remove the form for the top arch? Looks like impossible to remove once you lay the top bricks.

Leave a comment:

• v12spirit
    replied

I had this arvo off so I played and done some more to the oven.
    Some of the calcium silicate is recycled from the old oven and is 40mm thick.
    I added 50mm pavers in between the CS and the fire brick floor tiles for thermal mass.
    Hi brickie
    Can one build the oven chamber from the very blue stones you had been cutting? I mean why did not you use them for building the hot chamber of your oven?
    Actually here in Syria this blue stone is plentiful and I was planning to build an oven entirely from it and insulate it with pumice being unable to get all the materials I need and having plenty of pumice in the territory.
    Cheers.
    v12spirit

Leave a comment:

• alexi82
    replied

Just a quick safety note.
    I have a full face helmet that draws air in and blows it down your face after filtering it twice down to 2 micron.

Similar to this one (just an older version)

But after a few hours on a wet saw I could feel my nose getting crusty from the dust, a paper mask just wont do.
    hey mate, where did you get this mask from?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by dallas2 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to start a pizza oven from the concrete foundation. I have plenty o 8# heat blanket . What is next to the finish. Thanks
    Dallas the oven is 4x5 ft Dallas From East Texas
    Download the free plans from this site.

Leave a comment:

• dallas2
    replied

Can anyone tell me how to start a pizza oven from the concrete foundation. I have plenty o 8# heat blanket . What is next to the finish. Thanks
    Dallas the oven is 4x5 ft Dallas From East Texas

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Tap..tap....raising old thread

Cool build Al

Must say I got my mortar spot on this weekend while doing the brick base. I stopped tapping just by chance, my young son (shadow) was right up close and was helping put mortar down for next brick. So rather than just swinging around as he was right there, I just started wriggling the bricks down. Not tapping does makes sense

I've been watching bricky doing new build next door, all those little things do help - less handling less mess etc.
    Last edited by Bacterium; 06-04-2012, 04:50 AM. Reason: Tapped too soon

Leave a comment:

• British Standard's Stucco
    replied

to the above comments, the only time i tap is when my belly is full of pizza, afew malt beers and a good tune on the radio.
    the best part is true tradesmen sharing secrets,

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by WJW View Post
    The oven looks great Al! Did the carbon ever get burned off those rear corners?
    Absolutely, every time it gets fired it now clears.

Leave a comment:

• WJW
    replied

The oven looks great Al! Did the carbon ever get burned off those rear corners?

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    and have wondered how much weaker a joint becomes if any tapping at all upsets the integrity and consistency of the original bond.
    John
    A bond is only weakened if you reposition a brick after it has been laid and the moisture has been sucked out of the mortar, if thats the case the mortar should be scrapped off and the brick relayed.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

I'm sure alot of oven builders here have experienced the moisture from their mortar/clay/adhesive being sucked up before their eyes, then having to reapply over again. The few taps I do give ensure my firebricks are laid where I want them and straight too!
    Thank you for the insight, OzOvenBuilder.

As unqualified and inexperienced as I am (this is my first oven) this statement applies to me. Over the course of my build I learned to adjust my mortar so each brick could be manually pressed into place in one motion. I found that if I later readjusted the position of a brick after initially setting it the viscous bond between brick and mortar was broken and the resulting bond was not as strong as the original. Any tapping to adjust a brick had to be done within 2-3 seconds with the adjustment less than 1/16" either direction.

Admittedly I became really fussy in adhering to this process and have wondered how much weaker a joint becomes if any tapping at all upsets the integrity and consistency of the original bond.
    John

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Seems there are tappers and non tappers. Maybe my tapping every third brick is a good compromise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X