Styrofoam panels for insulating dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styrofoam panels for insulating dome?

I have quite a bit of half-inch styrofoam panels laying around here that I have no more use for after I made my forms out of them for my cob oven. I am ready to insulate and am trying to think of ways to use up this material without tossing it out. I was thinking of cutting them up into small hexagonal pieces and tiling them around the oven exterior with some perlcrete. I am thinking each piece would be something like 4" wide to better curve around the oven. I think I have enough of this that with the perlcrete I have, I could probably do two layers.

The R-value on the styrofoam is 3.2. What I see for perlcrete on perlite.org at a 1:6 ratio or so is an R-value of around 1.5. So I figure there would be some gain in insulation by using the styrofoam this way.

Edit: I did some searching for an actual data sheet on the brand of insulation, and it does say the maximum long-term temperature is 167F, so I see that's out.
    Last edited by Rocko Bonaparte; 03-13-2011, 09:38 AM.

Re: Styrofoam panels for insulating dome?

Like the taste of Styrofoam do you, because this is all you will taste on your pizzas.
    Its got me stumped as to why anyone would want to introduce a carcinogenic product to their food environment?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The styrofoam might be ok if it does not burn, but I think it probably will. You could do some tests. It is commonly used to store fruit and vegetables so presumably is ok at normal temps. If you don't want anything carcinogenic in your oven then you should also check out the safety of ceramic fibre blanket, there is a cloud over its safety too.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        ceramic fibre blanket, there is a cloud over its safety too.
        You know as well as I do that ceramic firbre doesnt melt or burn at low temps and is only dangerous if you inhale the fibres..
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          You know as well as I do that ceramic firbre doesnt melt or burn at low temps and is only dangerous if you inhale the fibres..
          Agree, but how you contacted the cancer becomes academic once you've got it. I was referring to your remark re carcinogens and their use in oven construction.

Comment

Styrofoam and extreme heat do not mix. I don't even like drinking coffee out of a styrofoam cup.

Comment

I did some searching for an actual data sheet on the brand of insulation, and it does say the maximum long-term temperature is 167F, so I see that's out.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                And, the fibres are only dangerous when the bonding agent has burnt out, which is over 500c. We couldnt get that high in an insulation scenario. Tests have shown that rats ,who have ingested CFB, MAY have respitory problems.
                My opinion is that you could just about eat this stuff and not have any dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
                  And, the fibres are only dangerous when the bonding agent has burnt out, which is over 500c. We couldnt get that high in an insulation scenario. Tests have shown that rats ,who have ingested CFB, MAY have respitory problems.
                  My opinion is that you could just about eat this stuff and not have any dramas.
                  You are probably right, but it is the inhalation of the fibres which can cause the problems rather than the ingestion. When cutting the material some fibres will escape, which can be inhaled. The results of this may not show for 20 years.
                  Last edited by david s; 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

When cutting the material some fibers will escape, which can be inhaled.
                    Exactly correct. Always protect your lungs. This is especially true when working with insulation products, but it's also true when cutting masonry materials. Silicosis doesn't care what kind of crud got in your lungs. I know that there are some forms of fiber that are deemed solluible, but I'd still protect your lungs.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                    X