Sources for vermiculite and diatomaceous earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources for vermiculite and diatomaceous earth

Anyone know typical sources for vermiculite (or Perlite) and diatomaceous earth other than home centers like Lowes? I'm thinking there must be sources cheaper than home centers.

Paul

Re: Sources for vermiculite and diatomaceous earth

try garden centers and growers for the perlite and vermiculite, its used extensively in potting soil. Here in FL, diatomaceous earth can be found at any swimming pool supply store (which are found on nearly every street corner with pharmacies and convenience stores).

RT

Comment

Great. Thanks, RT.

Paul

Comment

I used this ebay vendor.
        The shipping is more than the product, but If you can't get it locally, it's an option. Remember, gas and vehicle miles aren't free either.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

My strong recommendation would be to look for farm supply houses. There are farmers in Ohio, right? Grace is the main manufacturer for farming perlite at least in Florida. I bought my first two 4cubic foot bags (for the insulating hearth) for $50 each. At the farm supply house here they were $9 each! I got 6 bags to do the dome perlcrete. Call around, you will not find perlite cheaply on the web, IMHO.

Brad

Comment

Hi PaulB,

Landscapers supply companies, the ones that cater to golf courses and nursery/greenhouse merchants carry it. You can also find it at hydroponics suppliers since it is used as a growing medium. Some, but not many, pool supply companies may carry it. Also try an insulation supplier for vermiculite.

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
            X