Brick Saw Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Saw Wanted

I live in the Seattle (Bothell) area and just started my brick oven last week (42" Pompeii). The concrete pad was poured today. Does anyone have a Brick Saw I could rent?

Re: Brick Saw Wanted

Hi there! A lot of us have purchased this saw from Harbor Freight Tools (there are a couple of stores in the Seattle area).
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tand-2462.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hors...saw-95385.html

List is around $250. Stores have them on sale occasionally for as low as $200. Check your Sunday sale papers.

It's a low cost Chinese-made saw that is more than adequate for building an oven and many other projects.

I would buy one of these before I would rent.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Yes to that. Buy the Chinese saw, Keep the packing materials, and sell it on craigslist or eBay as "like new in box" after your project is complete. Even without the resale, it will be cheaper than three days of rental. Do not, under any circumstances, rent from a place that charges you for blade wear. It's a big rip-off. They will charge you more for 'blade wear' than a new cheap diamond blade would cost.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the link. I actually rented one from home depot for a day to get the project started...but will look into getting the HF Saw later down the road. I attached a picture of where we are now in the project after 4 days of HARD work.

Comment

Nice looking base! What are you planning to use for bottom insulation? Looks like a nice inset area on your hearth for vermiculite cement.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Those are the whitest firebricks I have seen in a build, they are not insulating firebricks, are they?

RT

Comment

Not sure. They were reclaimed from a residential fireplace. How can you tell if they are insulating brick?

Comment

They weigh about 6 lbs each and are 8" x 4" x 3"

Comment

Thanks you. Planning on insetting 2" of ceramic fireboard.

Comment

Fireplace bricks are good, they are usually low duty and perfect for our ovens (what I used). I've just never seen them so white, usually more of a cream or buff color.

RT

Comment

We are getting to the stage where we need to support the bricks more than the last row. What's the best way to go about this part of the build to close in the dome?

Comment

Forgot to attach picture. Attached is the picture showing where we are currently with the build.

Comment

Originally posted by BothellOven View Post
                          We are getting to the stage where we need to support the bricks more than the last row. What's the best way to go about this part of the build to close in the dome?
                          For the vertical brick I have seen all kinds of techniques

Custom length sticks angled from the floor
                          Exercise balls blown up inside the dome.
                          Thin wood lath made into arches (I think people soak them in water to make them easier to bend)
                          Styrofoam arches
                          Sand domes
                          Multiple Coat hangar wires bent over bricks in "U" shape to hold brick to previous chain
                          Grooves on the sides and bottoms of the bricks to give them grip.
                          etc...
                          Twelve people gives you 24 hands to hold bricks -- OK this one is a joke.

Check out the photo Gallery for other ideas.
                          PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor
                          Chip

Comment

Thanks for the advice...especially the 24 hands! We got her enclosed. See attached.

Comment

Originally posted by BothellOven View Post
                              Thanks for the advice...especially the 24 hands! We got her enclosed. See attached.
                              What method did you end up using?

Looks really nice. Is the door Glass? If it is glass how did you make it and where did you get the glass?

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X