buying tapered bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying tapered bricks

Anyone ever use a tapered brick - I'm looking at these firebricks that are used to make arches (#1 whatever that means). The bricks are 9 x 4.5 but are 3" on one side and 2 5/8" on other. It seems like these would make the gaps between courses smaller - or even eliminate if you soldier first course with a bevel on top. Any thoughts? Bricks made by Fuzion technologies. Thanks

Re: buying tapered bricks

While more expensive than standard firebrick, tapered bricks save in overall cutting time and promote smaller, consistent joints. You are, however, limited to the dome or arch profile the bricks are configured to.

Comment

Tapered bricks were a budget buster for me, the local supplier wanted between $4.50 and $7 each, depending on the degree of taper (he could actually order about 6 different angles). Too rich for my blood, I stuck with the cheap ones and did all cuts myself, using 1 1/2 bags of HeatStop 50

RT

Comment

wow, I better go grab these bricks - only $1.37 each but I have to buy rest of pallet (200).
        I'm guessing I'll be able to adjust dome height by degree of bevel on soldiered first course and small(er) gaps between courses. Store selling bricks says bricks were left out in rain but that shouldn't be a problem since you soak the bricks before mortar - right? I'll be real careful with first firingsll

Comment

Larry,

$1.37 is a good price.

Before you go pick them up do a little design work and calculate your floor dimensions, interior dome height, and sidewall height. If you don't know the brick angles and resulting arch circumference, you should ask this first. Yes, this will allow you calculate the soldier height to arrive at your interrnal dome height. You can also calculate your total brick needs to see what it would cost you if you run short.

Wet bricks dry out fine.

Comment

Store selling bricks says bricks were left out in rain
            That's funny. Has anyone ever stored bricks inside?
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

$1.37 is less than most have paid for standard firebricks, at that price I would have certainly given them a shot. I think my problem was Florida, just not much refractory anything down here except fireplaces in a few new construction homes. Low duty fireplace bricks can easliy be purchased cheap, which is what I did. I would have loved the opportunity to work with those angle bricks to see how tight you can achieve without hrs & hrs of cutting. Good luck , post pictures once you get started.

RT

Comment

OK I pulled the trigger and bought the bricks. I laid them out to see what kind of arch profile I could make. They look perfect. Actually had choice of three sizes. Place charged me a buck a brick if I loaded them myself (by hand). I contacted manufacturer and he said alumina content 32% and gave me arch profiles of their products. Manufacturer located about 10 miles away from seller (maybe they fell off the back of the truck?) I'll see if I can post some pictures.

Comment

Lucky B*****d!

To think I VERY briefly considered paying 3-4 times your price.

Nice score

RT

Comment

Hey Larry, great find! I sent you a private message earlier, before I saw this post. b/c I also wanted to buy the Pompei kit and I live in Philly (1,700 bux to ship).

Do you need a buyer for the xtra 200 bricks?!

Comment

Originally posted by JOSHUAFINANCIAL View Post
                      Hey Larry, great find! I sent you a private message earlier, before I saw this post. b/c I also wanted to buy the Pompei kit and I live in Philly (1,700 bux to ship).

Do you need a buyer for the xtra 200 bricks?!
                      Hi, all

Pretty informative forum. I am doing a firepit and was also considering using these tapered bricks. I am pretty sure we are talking about the same ones -- DURO DOT AR? They are made by Fuzion Technologies near Pittsburgh PA. When I contacted the manufacturer, they told me they will direct sell seconds of their F28 firebrick for 35 cents a piece. Seconds are bricks w/a chip on corner or other cosmetic flaw. Have to buy a skid of 624, but at that price... Of course, I am 300 miles away and the freight would be a killer (4,560 pounds for the palette). But in case anyone is close by and needs the info, you can contact Judy or better yet Bill Embery, 724 295 2800. He's the brick expert there.

Comment

Working...
                      X