Used Firebricks OKay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Firebricks OKay

after looking around for some time I'm going to take the plunge and start my build. I have never done anything like this so be prepared for questions. My first question is about used firebricks as I have found someone giving them away. All I know is they are yellowish and weight almost 8lbs and say crescent on most of them. The corners are chipped.

1.Do I need to worry about using used bricks? Chemicals or anything? I have seen others who used new bricks on the floor which I think I will do to get nice sharp corners for smoothness.

2. Do they get old? dry? or crumbly after time? Any way to tell if they are good?

Unless I hear some negative feedback I guess I will go for it. Thanks

Re: Used Firebricks OKay

We recycled firebricks from a kiln which fired bricks used in residential construction. No problems here.

We cut the bricks in two, and placed the cut side toward the center of the dome.
    Last edited by Lburou; 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
      We recycled firebricks from a kiln which fired bricks used in residential construction. No problems here.

We cut the bricks in two, and placed the cut side toward the center of the dome.

P.S. We used new firebricks for the oven floor to make the small contamination risk extremely small.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I would want to know where they came from. You would not want to use bricks which may have been exposed to heavy metals (lead) or something in a food over.

Comment

Working...
        X