Insulated flue pipe material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulated flue pipe material?

I found this advertised for sale not too far from home. It is listed as a 3-layer pipe for a stove. It is a little tall (54"). I have inquired about it's inside diameter (needs to be 8" min) and metal make-up.

Does it look like the inner pipe is galvanized steel? Usable?

John

Re: Insulated flue pipe material?

Don't know but I located at the local Home Depot five (5) 24" lengths of duravent 6" (8" outside) stainless double wall chimney flue. This is the exact same pipe that is sold in the forno bravo store, and I got each one for- get this- $10. All stacked on a flat bed and when I questioned the nearest employee, he said that it wasn't normal stock, so they were clearing it out. I bought it all. I will make you a good but nevertheless profitable deal. If I don't sell it all, I will have the tallest chimney in the state.

Comment

Re: Insulated flue pipe material?

As far as mortar around the flue piep (single wall), I found that a local building products supplier had firplace high-temp mortar and silicone sealer that came in the small sized tube for a caulking gun. I have mortared rock up and around the flue, and plan to finish up tight to th e flue wiht the high temp mortar. Then let it cure some and I expect it to shrink away slightly from the flue, then seal wiht the high temp silicone sealer (450-500 degree stuff) and hope that seals the exterior from water entry around the flue.

Comment

Working...
      X