Used Firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Firebrick

I found a source locally that says they have 8 or 900 used firebricks, standard dimensions. $0.50 each

She claims they are medium duty but I really have no way of knowing.

I am going out to look at them tonight. Any guidance?

A picture of one that the seller sent me is below
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Used Firebrick

As long as these are from something like a fireplace rather than something that was associated with industrial nastyness, I'd consider them. They'll cost you 1/2 to a 1/3 of what you'll pay new, so figure a savings of $100 - 200 or so on a dome and if it allows you to put a grill next to the dome, that's not a bad thing. Also ask if they have broken ones that they'll throw in since if you make a dome you'll be cutting these into 2 and 3 pieces anyway. Heck they may have a pile of broken bricks that they would love to have you take and if this were the case you might not pay for your bricks at all.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
      As long as these are from something like a fireplace rather than something that was associated with industrial nastyness, I'd consider them. They'll cost you 1/2 to a 1/3 of what you'll pay new, so figure a savings of $100 - 200 or so on a dome and if it allows you to put a grill next to the dome, that's not a bad thing. Also ask if they have broken ones that they'll throw in since if you make a dome you'll be cutting these into 2 and 3 pieces anyway. Heck they may have a pile of broken bricks that they would love to have you take and if this were the case you might not pay for your bricks at all.

Just my opinion.

Chris
      A half buck a piece
      I second your opinion
      If it is not to late to chime in: Buy one medium duty firebrick, take it with you, bring along a trial, give em' four bits, and take a wack at both of them
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf's suggestion of giving tham a wack is a good one, also if you go with these, save the best for the floor or buy new, flat, firebricks for the floor. Keep the most intact side, the side least likley to flake, to the inside of the oven.

Chris

PS as long as they're solid and won't degrade quickly in use.. Also the cut side might be your best side. All of this assumes that you opt to save a couple of hundred dollers.
        Last edited by SCChris; 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

thanks guys. I will pick up a couple and check them out. I was planning to buy new bricks for the floor unless there are some that look good here. But the price is hard to turn down, and as Chris says - I'm going to be cutting them up anyway. I am planning to do a double taper on the bricks, so not much of the original facing is going to remain by the time I am done.

headed out there as soon as I hit respond. If there are any other folks in the market in the Seattle area, PM me and I'll give you the scoop
          My build progress

Comment

Update. I went out to the site and inspected the bricks. They were apparently taken out of the boiler of an old school that was torn down. They are stamped on one side "WYNN", which apparently was a firebrick manufacturer in PA at the turn of the century according to the interwebs.

I weighed the brick I brought home, and it is about 8 pounds - so I expect it is medium or low duty firebrick. The seller said that others have used them for pizza ovens. He has a pretty good stack of them left.

The bricks are probably 100+ years old, and they've been out in the weather for a few years. the one I have has quite a bit of flaking on one of the narrow edges - but the other is fine. My initial reaction was that the they were too degraded to use - but I guess with some clever positioning, I could make use of them. I am just worried about putting all the effort into building the oven and using sub-standard bricks

I will try to post some pictures later
            Last edited by deejayoh; 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM.
            My build progress

Comment

FWIW, I used recycled firebricks....Would think long and hard before I did it again.

The money I saved was half your potential savings though. Your surprise will be in cutting the bricks. I made more cuts to be sure there was a good side to place toward the inside of the dome, frequently cutting another eigth or quarter of an inch from the inside face to get a good face. I'm not sure the $100 I saved was offset by the extra work and wear and tear on myself and the saw blades. Its history now.

Best Regards,

P.S. I forgot to mention that cleaning the bricks took some time and effort too. I ended up using the brick saw to clean them. :-/
              Last edited by Lburou; 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                FWIW, I used recycled firebricks....Would think long and hard before I did it again.

The money I saved was half your potential savings though. Your surprise will be in cutting the bricks. I made more cuts to be sure there was a good side to place toward the inside of the dome, frequently cutting an eigth or quarter of an inch from the inside face to get a good face. I'm not sure the $100 I saved was offset by the extra work and wear and tear on myself and the saw blades. Its history now.

Best Regards,
                I was going to say this myself Lee. I started out scouring for used bricks and by the time I looked at several "gently" used bricks I decided labor side would eat up any savings. Bought new and built without worries.

Comment

Lee and Roo -

Thanks for piping in. Your advice is consistent with what I was thinking when I woke up this morning. I think for me it is probably penny wise and pound foolish to go with the used bricks. I hate to pass up a deal... but sometimes it isn't a deal.

Anyone else in Seattle area who is braver than I, or more concerned about saving $ - PM me and I'll send you the contact info. I'm sure they're going to have a supply of bricks for a while.

Dennis
                  My build progress

Comment

dejayoh,

I used firebricks from a boiler that was over 100 years old myself here in AZ. Boiler was used for power generation at a copper smelter and fired bunker C fuel (A heavy crude which needs to be heated to about 90F to get it to flow - ships use the stuff). I had a few tested (using hazardous waste testing and drinking water standards) and they came up clean.

My procedure was to use new bricks for the floor and cut bricks for the dome. I put the cut face inward - cut bricks in half.

In the over a year that I have had them, there has not been any issues with the brick - just me needing to finish the exterior (next month) due to schedule issues.

Best o luck!

CW
                    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I'm in the Seattle area and also looking for about 50 used firebrick. Suggestions? Ed

Comment

Sent you a PM with contact info
                        My build progress

Comment

I came across a few hundred bricks recently from a torn down chimney....
                          I feel pretty confident that they are "clean" but how does one test them?

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
                            I came across a few hundred bricks recently from a torn down chimney....
                            I feel pretty confident that they are "clean" but how does one test them?
                            After judging the overall appearance, (most of them whole, square edges etc.) take one or two and strike them with your trial, hatchet or hammer.
                            If you have to, go and buy one new medium density fire brick. Do the same to it. After the comparison you will know what you want to build it with. It may be a good deal
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I guess my post was confusing Gulf.....I meant how do you test them to see if they haven't been contaminated by any Hazmat or anything like that....

Comment

Working...
                              X