Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not an "Everything but the Bricks" kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not an "Everything but the Bricks" kit?

I looked into ordering your DIY kit with the bricks - but the shipping on that makes it pretty much a non starter. Costs nearly as much to ship as the materials IIRC.

So as I started piecing together the stuff for my oven build, the thought occurred to me that Forno Bravo should have some sort of package deal on "everything but the bricks": the Insulating board, ceramic blanket, and vent pipe. Maybe the mortar too.

I could save a lot of time and effort if you guys had such a package for a 36 or 42" configuration sans bricks (which it makes sense to source locally), at some discount relative to buying a la carte. The other stuff is hard to find, and relatively cheap to ship (at least compared to bricks) so I'm just lazy enough that I would have gone that way.

Added value could be to supply items like an arch template and an indispensible tool. Kind of an "oven builidng for dummies" package.

All the stuff is already in the store, I think you are missing a packaging opportunity.

What do others think?
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Why not an "Everything but the Bricks" kit?

I would definitely like to see a kit such as that. As of now, I am sourcing materials for my slab, stand, hearth and dome from a local stone supply company. I am searching for ceramic fiber board and blanket. I know FB sells it, but the shipping is still on the high side.

If FB could come up with a package of sorts that could beat other sources, I definitely would buy from them.
    Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Try these folks. ANH Refractories

Local and more then you could ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post

I called them and their prices for insulation and brick were quite high ($2.25 a brick!) in Washington. Plus they don't carry duravent products. And they don't sponsor this forum...
        My build progress

Comment

Sorry about that. I thought you could not find refractory supplies. I did the price thing as well with them. I took one of their bricks and one from the local lumber yard and compared them side by side cut them open and inspected the quality of the brick. For me it was worth the extra cost for the better brick. I also did not need to pay for shipping so that saved huge in the overall cost.

Duravent is more for fireplaces and wood stoves I would not expect a refractory place to deal with relativity low temperature products.

As far as I'm concerned as for as the support of this forum I don't know what to say. Their primary business is large commercial furnaces so an WFO here and there is not enough for any business of that type to sideline into.

All I know is the products that I got from them was quality and I did not pay for shipping. The guys in the office knew their stuff and had spec sheets on every product.

None the less I thought the link would be of help. Sorry that it was not what you were looking for.

Comment

Faith -
            no worries. I was really trying to make a suggestion to the folks who run the site and the Forno Bravo Store about a different way to package and market the products they already sell. This forum is probably not the best place to post such a suggestion.
            My build progress

Comment

I also am trying to source all of the materials locally and on the internet. I would buy a "everything but the bricks kit". It seems to be a real pain to find everything needed and at a decent price. The bricks are easy to find. I can get them less than a mile from my house at a stone supply company.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post

I gave my local HWR distribution center a call. I would have to buy a whole box of Ceramic Fiber Board (Insboard) .INSBOARD 2300 LD HWR PART# 119779 SOLD IN FULL BOX ONLY-6 SHEETS/6 SQFT PER SHEET= 36 SQ FT BOX = $523.44

Yikes...So I have finally come to the conclusion that I will be ordering my blanket and FB board from Forno Bravo. Even with the shipping, 3 rolls of blanket and 3 FB boards plus shipping is less than $523.44

With that said all my material for Slab/stand/base and firebricks with the Forno Bravo ordered material comes to roughly $1500.00

Not too bad I guess....Oh wait then there's pizza peels accesories etc...This is turning out to be a costly endeavor Oh well, I am having fun
                Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Ouch... I don't set policy or prices at ANH. I had good dealings with them for what I needed.

All I read was that one stop supply for refractories was not there combined with shipping costs was a problem. It was an option if not satisfied with other suppliers.

Have fun with your build and don't forget the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisherx View Post
                    I gave my local HWR distribution center a call. I would have to buy a whole box of Ceramic Fiber Board (Insboard) .INSBOARD 2300 LD HWR PART# 119779 SOLD IN FULL BOX ONLY-6 SHEETS/6 SQFT PER SHEET= 36 SQ FT BOX = $523.44
                    Do they sell Calcium Silicate (CalSil), 2" thick?
                    It should be a heck of a lot cheaper.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

These are the prices I got from ANH

Item # 119775 2300 LD 1” X 24” X 36” $8.93 sq ft sold in boxes of 72 sq ft (12 boards @ 6 sq ft per board)
                      Item # 119785 2300 HD 1” X 24” X 36” $13.13 sq ft sold in boxes of 72 sq ft (12 boards @ 6 sq ft per board)

Item # 70750 Carter 9 X 4 ? X 2 ? $2.25 ea

Similar to what FFX posted - except you had to buy 72 square feet! And they don't sell CalSil. Only Insboard (similar specs)

Forno Bravo is much cheaper for the insulation - and as I was trying to suggest... a package deal for these elements would be a good value for us DIY types.
                      My build progress

Comment

I agree that a package deal, minus the brick, would be the smart thing for FB to do. Shipping from the "left coast" to the rest of the US is prohibitve for a (brick included) bundle. Maybe not to the Seattle area, but at least to a vast portion of US.
                        As for as "Calcil" goes, try searching for "industrial insulation" in the Seattle area.
                        I did not have to buy my 2" CalSil, but I had been given a price of about 1/5 the price of what you quoted as for ceramic. This quote was from Distribution Interanational (locations along the Gulf Coast)
                        I hope this helps.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the tip Gulf.

My FB Board arrived on my doorstoop this morning, so a little late for me - but I am sure that is a tip that will help others.

FWIW, the Forno Bravo price is about half what the quotes above were.
                          My build progress

Comment

Working...
                          X