3" Ceramic Fiber Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" Ceramic Fiber Board

While I was calling around for ceramic fiber board I spoke wtith someone at McGills Warehouse in So Cal and he actually told me that he would advise against buying the 3" board because of the lack of uniformity throughout the board. He recommended that if I wanted 3" of insulating board I should use a combination of other sizes to get it. Has anybody else heard this? Has anybody used the 3" board? Any help and input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: 3" Ceramic Fiber Board

Hi Nate,
    I haven't purchased anything from McGill's but have been aware of them and their refractory product offerings for a little over a year now. You might want to contact Harbison Walker (ANH Refractories) regarding the availability of Insblock 19. This is a ceramic fibre board rated to operate up to 1900F. A number of builders have reported good results with this board and I would too if my oven was finished. They have distribution centers (open to the public) in Salt Lake City, Seattle and Portland.
    John

Comment

Hey John,

thanks for the response. I contacted Harbison Walker about their firebrick a month or so ago and it was pricey ($4.00/brick) but I didn't even think to check into them for the insulating board. I will have to look into that. For as many times as I have read your build thread I should probably remember how thick your insulating board is but I don't. Did you go with 2" or 3" insulation under your floor?

Comment

3" or 75mm Calcium Silicate board is a better option if it is on the base of your oven.

Comment

Nate,
          I have 2" of board on top of 3 1/2" of vermicrete.
          John

Comment

-Hey John so do I. Can one have too much insulation?

-Nate, my 2" board was not exactly the same thickness ether. I had to level it with the sand/firebrick mix anyway.

Mike

Comment

Hey, Nate.

I recently bought four inches of cal sil board in different thicknesses. The boards measure 24" x 39.4" at 1.5" and 1" thick. They were out of the two inch at the time.

I did it like this so I could alternate the seams when stacking the boards. Hopefully I can squeeze every last drop of heat for as long as possible. Plus I got it for a good price. That is why I went with four inches instead of the standard two.

I have not set bricks on them yet, but the boards seem fairly consistent by eyeballing them. Although that and fifty cents may get you a cup of coffee.

Good luck.

David
              "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

John - thanks for the info.

David - let me know how that goes with the 4" of board.

And NO you can't have too much insulation. But the insulation can cost so much that I can't afford to go to 3" or 4" so that is what I am trying to figure out. Thanks for all the info!

Nate

Comment

Hey, Nate.

Just out of curiousity how much was the three inch ceramic fiber board? When I was first searching for materials I had a bunch of different prices for boards.

Forno has really good pricing compared to other dealers I talked with and shipping should be better being you are out west.

David
                  "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

David

For two sheets of 2' x 3' x 3" board it was $117.06. I didn't think it was that bad of a deal. What do you think? Here's the link to it (and yes I saw it is out of stock).

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF103 3in Ceramic Board

Nate

Comment

-Hey John so do I. Can one have too much insulation?
                      Mike,
                      No, I don't think one can really have too much insulation. I really like how you insulated your oven floor and the entire build quality of your oven. At the risk of stepping on Nate's thread, how has your oven been performing in the heat retention department?
                      John

Comment

Hey John,

Go ahead and step on it. I have done it to you more than my fair share so I deserve it.

Comment

Hey John-
                          I just found an ANH refractory distribution center about 3 miles from my house. I didn't know they existed before your recommendation. I'll probably purchase all my insulation and cooking floor items form them. They even have an industrial insulator that is rated higher than Cal Sil board that I will use. They are a bit more expensive but sans shipping it all works out.
                          I highly recommend anhrefractories.com
                          Thom

Comment

Hey Thom,
                            Great that you got an ANH so close by. Have you planned your dome and inner arch shape yet? Can't wait to see your design and pics.

John

Comment

John-

Sorry, I never noticed that question was to me until now (I think it was toward me). Honestly I still haven't finished my oven yet, so I don't really know how the floor stays hot. I am one of those finish the whole thing before I have a bunch of people over yet (or is that my wife, I can't remember). But thanks anyway.
                              -I would say that there is no bad reason to have extra insulation under the floor. The less heat loss into the concrete slab the better (for pizza and for baking).

-Mike D

Comment

Working...
                              X