Bricks stamped "Alusite"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks stamped "Alusite"

HI, I have managed to fins some old bricks and have been told they are firebricks that were once used in an old oven. They are stamped with the word "AlUsite" on one face. Does anyone know of this brand and if they would be suitable for a WFO ?.
    Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Re: Bricks stamped "Alusite"

Seems like this is a trademark of the Harbison-Walker refractory. I gathered from reading some other links that they may be more of a "super duty" or "high alumina" brick, but it is hard to tell. Will be easy enough to tell if you cut one. High alumina content in super duty firebrick will make them more difficult to cut.

ALUSITE Logo - Harbison-Walker Refractories Company Logos

Comment

Do they seem fairly light when you pick them up? Firebricks are usually quite heavy whereas an insulating brick (yours may be?) are light in weight in comparison.
      Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

I've attached a couple of photos of the bricks in question. As you can see in one of the photos, each brick weighs in at around 10lbs (almost 5 kg). They definitely aren't insulation bricks. I also have an old batch of another brand of firebrick from the NEWBOLD refractory here in Australia, these only weigh about 4kg each. Does the heavier weight mean they are high duty bricks?.

Regards, Bruno
        Regards,

Bruno

Comment

as you said, it sounds like they're not insulating bricks then if they are nearly 5kg. Firebricks generally have a high alumina content 35-40%, so I guess without any real data on the bricks you have it would be hard to guess what they are. The weight is dependent upon what's in it of course which determines the type (duty) of the brick, so again, I'm afraid without the data you may be flying blind.

Can anyone else here tell us of a test that can determine the capabilities of a firebrick??
          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

The more the mass of a brick the more fuel it will take to heat it up, and the more it will retain the heat for a longer period.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brung99 View Post
              I've attached a couple of photos of the bricks in question. As you can see in one of the photos, each brick weighs in at around 10lbs (almost 5 kg). They definitely aren't insulation bricks. I also have an old batch of another brand of firebrick from the NEWBOLD refractory here in Australia, these only weigh about 4kg each. Does the heavier weight mean they are high duty bricks?.

Regards, Bruno
              The Newbold bricks should have some numbers or other letters on them. if you can give me further info, I have a Newbold book to referance it to.

Comment

Thanks Johnny, I'll take a closer look in the morning and see if I can find anything. Will keep you posted.....
                Regards,

Bruno

Comment

HI Johnny,

The bricks are old and have dried mortar/dirt etc over them. I tried looking for the marks on the bricks as you suggested, but couldn' find anything distinguishable. Whilst searching however, i found a few other bricks in the pile stamped with "F Z". Any idea about these ones?

Regards,
                  Bruno
                  Regards,

Bruno

Comment

They are NGR, or Newbold General Refractories, the FZ is for "fire zone", which is high duty 30% Alumina firebrick. Perfect for your oven, but as we have said before, there may be contamination dependent on its previous application. You may see a marking on the brick, a half circle with 'Vulcan" also displayed in the half circle?

Comment

Thanks for the info and the advice Johnny. Great to know they are good to use.
                      I'll keep looking throught the pile for other symbols.
                      So whats the easiest way to test for contaminants?

Regards,
                      Bruno
                      Regards,

Bruno

Comment

Use them and see if they make you sick. I don't think there is any easy way to test for contaminants other than crushing up a brick and taking it to an industrial chemist to make exhaustive and expensive tests.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Johnny

STOP!!!!!

before you do anything, you need to know what is in the bricks. Many contain Chrome 6 (VI+) which is detrimental to you. Yeah, it has a sweat taste, but long term, does damage.

Looking at the brick - I am not sure what it was fired with - Bunker C, Thermal Coal, Metallurgical Coal, etc. So, see what I mean??

Take a brick in and have it tested for total metals = way cheaper than toxicity. I will be happy to assist you in interpreting the results, from a non-regulatory standpoint. Fact is, at the end of the day, what goes in your gut will affect you for a life-time.

PM me with questions - environmental health is my business!

Chris
                          Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
                          X